Battery Testing

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Sorry for the postingitus.... but......what is the easiest/quickest/best way of testing a battery...I think mines past its best (it is 12 years old)...is it to put a voltmeter across the posts whilst cranking and measure the voltage??

Thanks

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:54 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Sorry for the postingitus.... but......what is the easiest/quickest/best way of testing a battery...I think mines past its best (it is 12 years old)...is it to put a voltmeter across the posts whilst cranking and measure the voltage??

Thanks

John :wink:

Wot! 12 years old & you only think it's "past its best" :roll:
I dumped my 10 year old Battery only 2 days ago, purely because the "Battery Jogger" wasn't showing either charge or discharge on either of the LED's.
That was enough for me to fork out 44? for a new replacement & peace of mind for another few years :wink:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:27 pm

is it to put a voltmeter across the posts whilst cranking and measure the voltage??

Yes, what you are describing is correct. A fully charged 12v battery should give at least 8v when cranking.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: