Fitting louder air horn

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:28 pm

It appears to be sold under a couple of different names here in the US.

You can find it on ebay:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw ... u=1&_sop=1

Or at Harbor Freight under the wolo brand, which someone else mentioned earlier that they have used with good success:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=94117

And from what I could find online, it sounds like it draws about 18 amps, so not as much as the one I already bought from Harbor Freight.

Thanks for the advice. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:17 pm

So I bought both a low and high freeway blaster, plugged one into the purple (power) and purple/black (horn ground) wires and all I get is a click. Based on trying different power sources and grounds, it would appear that the ground is the problem. The strange thing is that the original horn (Unus single air horn) works, albeit not as loud as I would like. I guess it doesn't require much power. I've checked the purple/black connections at the horn button, the safety switch and the horn, and the ground at the end of the steering. I can't find where the purple/black splits to go to the horn and the safety switch, possibly that's the problem. Anyone know where that is located, or have other suggestions for how to get more power to the horn(s). Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:29 am

Hi Dan,
Have you checked the horn push pencil ? If you pull out the horn button assembly from the steering wheel you can then withdraw the contact pencil and clean both ends with wet/dry paper or wire wool, also check that the spring is not broken or stuck. To clean the contact ring that the pencil rubs on you will need to remove the steering wheel or disconnect the sliding clamp between the upper and lower shafts and pull the wheel up enough to get to the ring. There are also contacts inside the horn push itself and to check/clean those you will have to take the thing apart by carefully prising up the three tabs on the chrome ring that hold the button in. Sods law says it will be the last and most difficult bit to get to that will turn out to be the problem. Also does your steering column u/j have a bridge wire fitted ? If not that is worth doing as well, all you need is a short length of wire with an eyelet on each ends connecting the two clamp bolts. If all this works you will be able to take back your new horns and get your money back !
Good luck. Best regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:10 pm

As has been noted in previous posts the horn compressor definentely needs its own relay and in line fuse, which one of the relays and fuses from my set up below does. I have a fairly heavy duty cable running from the battery post down to the fuse box and then run all the electrics up front from there including halagon headlights, so that the main wiring harness has to handle the minimum amount of power.

Even with this set up I still had problems until I put in an earthing wire on the steering column and refurbished the push botton switch wiper mechanism with a spring, an old biro and a piece of pencil.

Cheers

Andy
Attachments
DSCF0723.JPG and
DSCF0728.JPG and
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:08 am

RotoFlexible wrote:Freeway Blasters - that's what I bought. I have a low and a high. They work fine 1-1/2 years after installation,

I bought a set of these (one high, one low) in the late 70's. They were on a Honda Gold Wing for four years and went on the Elan when I sold the bike. They're still there and still working well although perhaps not quite so loud as they were.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: