Radio

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:42 pm

My +2 has a hole where the radio once was. Can anyone suggest where to get a 1960s /70s looking radio that also has FM that will fit. I'd rather not spend a vast amount of money. The German ones like Becker and Blaupunkt seem expensive on the web.

thanks, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:08 pm

If you are in the uk there is a supplier in cheshire that supplies recon AM equipment I bought a radiomobile 1050 from them (though it wasn't cheap) I'll dig out the invoice and check the name when I get home from work. There is also a german supplier that will put a modern pll radio into the inside of the AM set at a price. Just thinking out aloud though you could get a miniature mp3 player that would probably hide somewhere for actual music if you are only after the look

Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: redsteel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:53 am

My elan had the original radio replaced with an 80s unit when i purchased it. now i want to restore to the original radio. can you please let me know what i should be looking for? can you direct me to possible sources? many thanks
redsteel
New-tral

PostPost by: Kets » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:09 pm

Hi All

The Guy in cheshire is Vintage Wireless. He will convert your original to FM for about ?150 . He will also add an lead that goes to the glove box so you can connect an MP3 or CD player for another ?35. I think he also sells period radios.

You can contact him on 0161 9730438
Kets
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:29 pm

This fella also does a similar service. When the car's finished, I'll be getting one of these and connecting my daughters ipod to it - I hope!

http://www.radios.freeserve.co.uk/
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Boston-Sam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Long ago someone removed the radio from my '67 elan. Is there an after market 6V positive ground part available?

I am in Boston Massachusetts - local sources are better.
Yellow 1967 RHD DHC 45/6513
Boston-Sam
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Boston-Sam wrote:Is there an after market 6V positive ground part available?

Why would you want to put a 6V radio in your 12V car?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgently » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:08 pm

These folks list their Radiomobile FM/MP3 proper stereo conversions on ebay fairly regularly and seem to have v. good feedback. They seem to go for around ?250.

I have a Radiomobile 80T in my +2, one day the conversion will make it to the top of my priority list. Now that they've switched off MW, I've a choice of one crackly LW station!

http://www.tadpoleradios.co.uk/
68 +2 Carnival Red
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 am

Note our dear UK Govt plan to turn off all mainstream analogue FM as well, starting in 2012 ? Therefore please ensure any conversion to an existing unit should have connectivity to a DAB device.

Unbelieveable, isn't it.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 pm

DAB is the way to go for fibreglass cars like ours cuts out radio interference I use a MP3 /SD /DAB and a amp with speakers in the doors.
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hitus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Why would anyone want a decent radio (+ other bits) in an elan ? Not only is the sound from the exhaust music to ones ears, but there's enough entertainment on the roads as it is (esp in an elan) without adding to it. Hang on....I've got long wave...I can listen to the cricket !!

Neil
Hitus
New-tral

PostPost by: richgilb » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:15 pm

are we not severely limited to choice of radio due to space behind the dash? i was advised to forget it, there are hardly any out there that fit....seems like people are happily fitting whatever takes their fancy?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:24 am

Hitus wrote:Why would anyone want a decent radio (+ other bits) in an elan ? Not only is the sound from the exhaust music to ones ears...

All I can say is, surely you've never driven your car for a substantial length of time. After an hour or so, one gets tired of hearing the same song.:wink: I put CD players with 6 speakers in both of my Lotuses. Cranking up Jagger belting out "Satisfaction" while driving a 60s engineered car is pure nirvana.

Rich. Only the +2 has limited space behind the dash. What do you own?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:10 am

Yeah, I've got a +2 but Iain started this thread saying he has a +2, which means he needs +2 advice. Dgently says he has a Radiomobile 80T in his +2....is this one of the few that fits or is it sticking out of your dash?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 am

iain.hamlton wrote:My +2 has a hole where the radio once was. Can anyone suggest where to get a 1960s /70s looking radio that also has FM that will fit. I'd rather not spend a vast amount of money. The German ones like Becker and Blaupunkt seem expensive on the web.

thanks, iain

If you struggle to find one that fits (I think there is one by Pye that fits) you could do what Spyder recommends and get a black cubby hole tray from a Vectra I believe, which fits nicely behind the hole apparently. Good for storing coins, fags, parking tickets, johnnies etc.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: