Another happy Aldon Ignitor customer

PostPost by: dgently » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:37 pm

I bought a negative earth version before Christmas, finally got around to switching polarity last week (which was shockingly simple!) and fitted the ignitor at the weekend.

That was also really easy, and the difference is remarkable. Definitely the best money I've spent so far. Feels like a new engine, despite having gone through two sets of points/condensors and fiddled endlessly to try to get it right.

Just thought I'd add my endorsement to the many I've seen on this forum (c)AOL
68 +2 Carnival Red
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:15 pm

(which was shockingly simple!)...have you reversed the polarity of the H.T. coil?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgently » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:03 am

<edit> Failed to get the pun first time. I don't regret that for a minute :wink:

Yes John. No slack in the wires so my room temperature IQ stalled me for longer than I'd care to admit to before I simply rotated the coil 180 degrees . :D

Seriously though, was done in 20 mins. Haven't reversed the wires on the ammeter yet, but it just reads the wrong way.
68 +2 Carnival Red
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:44 am

Radio? Voltage regulator for instruments (mechanical?)

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgently » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 am

Radio?

My radio was dead, so I just disconnected the live wire from the ignition. Its a Radiomobile that can be reversed so if I can ever get it working I can switch it too.

Voltage regulator for instruments (mechanical?)

No problems. You're making me feel more lucky that gifted :lol:
68 +2 Carnival Red
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:22 am

And re polarisation of the dynamo field coils or damage to the regulator points will result .
Hold a live feed to the small f terminal of the dynamo with the leads removed 2 seconds.

Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NORTHWALES+2 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi

I am looking at fitting an Electronic Ignition system to my car, and so far I am favouring the Aldon system, can you fit the kit without having to remove the distributor and does it have any adverse effect on the rev counter.

At the same time I am also looking at upgrading the ignition coil to the Aldon flamethrower, 1.5 ohms because I have a ballast resistor, however i would be interested in some feedback regarding the coil and the electronic ignition system before proceeding.
NORTHWALES+2
New-tral

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 pm

I suppose in theory you could fit the ignitor with the distributor in place but it will be much much easier with it out. It will need retiming in any case so there's no reason at all not to just loosen the clamp pinch bolt and take it out.

I still have the original "series" rev counter (albeit with -ve earth conversion) and it works fine.

I went for the 3ohm "road use" flamethrower coil (with no ballast resistor) and am happy with it. I was wary of the warning on the 1.5 ohm coils whicih say "N.B. If coil is not used for high speed driving, coil will overheat as they are not discharging quick enough."

However, with the ballast resistor (which I think drops the running voltage to 9v from 12) the energy dissipated by the 1.5ohm coil is not too far away from that of the 3ohm coil at 12v so you might be OK.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Dont leave home with out the parts to put the points back when the weather is hot.
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 pm

NORTHWALES+2 wrote:At the same time I am also looking at upgrading the ignition coil to the Aldon flamethrower, 1.5 ohms because I have a ballast resistor, however i would be interested in some feedback regarding the coil and the electronic ignition system before proceeding.

Just get rid of the ballast resistor and use the normal-resistance coil running at 12V. No need for a ballast resistor with an electronic ignition system.

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:25 pm

just be wary about the rev counter..
mine is an older style rev counter which worked well to begin with when I put the aldon on my car..
Then it got an intermittant fluctuation
Then it started producing clouds of acrid smoke!
(i have now replaced its innards with the newer system)
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Paddy,

I removed a flame thrower coil as it kept destoying Dizzy caps. They are a higher voltage than the SAE spec' standard caps on an old 23D4 Dizzy can tolerate. Ok if you are on the later Dizzy with the better insulation. It was discussd on here at length. Larger plug gaps make it worse. Not trying to be funny, but I killed three caps.

Starts as a miss at higher revs as it warms thro' and then almost stops the car. Also did a rotor arm. Type 26 Keith (who used to post) was red hot on this subject.

Mike :o
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:58 pm

I have the Aldon distirbutor with the newer cap so fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip though - sounds like I should carry a spare cap :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: