S3/SE 1968 coil location

PostPost by: ttaunton » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 am

Can some kind person tell me where the ignition coil was originally located in an S3?
The PO had located it on top of the passenger footwell, running longitudinally. However I can't find a underbonnet picture on Google that actually shows the coil in this position, in fact I haven't found a single underbonnet picture in which you can see the coil at all, so it may be out of sight down on the vertical bit where the brake master cylinders would be in an LHD car. The coil wires from the loom are on that side.
The aluminium commission plate presumably went flat down on top of the footwell? Some pictures show this.
Any info gratefully received.

Tony Taunton
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:05 pm

It should be on the right-hand inner wing under the carburettors, with the wires end facing forwards and slightly up from the horizontal. It's not very accessible there, but if your car had it there originally there might still be evidence of two mounting holes in the inner wing.

Dodgy leads... spurious sparks... petrol leaks... perhaps moving the coil to the other side isn't a bad idea even if it means the coil HT lead becomes very long.

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi tony, we had a bit of a discussion here: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtop ... ght=#84398

hope this helps

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: