sprint: rear lights

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:50 pm

on the sprint rear light there are different screen for each bulb: one is flat surfece, the other is wave; which one is for the brack/tail light (red lens) and for indicators (amber lens)??

Any one could have a look at his rear lights and help me?

thank you,

Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Umberto

I've attached a photo [drivers side]. The top bulb is the stop/tail and the bottom the indicator - I hadn't noticed before that the indicator surround has a wavey surface and the stop/tail is smooth. Anyone explain why?!

Richard
Attachments
rearbulbs.jpg and
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Richard,

thank you for the pictur.
An other question to everybody: why the rubber gasket for the lens is interrupted in two points? in your pictur they are on the top side; it is correct? or may have to be on the bottom side?

Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Umberto,

I would say (but could be wrong) that they are to vent (help dry out, prevent sweating) and allow any water out that may leak in. Should be at the bottom. I have noticed that they are in different positions. As you will be aware, an elan has the lamps one way up and a plus two has them the other way. There is also another car (that had these fitted), can't recall. I think it matters where they originate from. Perhap Paul Matty has both types of gasket. Plus two and Baby Elan??? :?

Mike :)
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Umberto

Well spotted! I found after I had bought the drivers side rear lights that the unit was from an E type Jaguar - it is almost identical but I had to add a reversing light.

The passenger side rear lights I have are "proper" Lotus and you will see from the photo that there is only a small gap in the gasket at the bottom which seems to be there because either the gasket has shrunk slightly or was a fraction too small when fitted. As Mike says the rear lights where fitted the other way up on the +2.

Richard
Attachments
rearbulbs1.jpg and
Passenger side
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:47 pm

Thanks to everybody and now I am enough sure wich is the correct conclusion.

I am restoring my rear lights, starting from the original federal version cannibalized from previous owner in to european standard. Here the gasket for the lens is with the two holes on the bottom (I think this is original).

I have bought 3 different full lights (2 left and one right) european standard on ebay and some are with the holes on the top and other on the bottom. I confirm that it depends if the light is for baby elan or plus 2.

In any case the holes of the gasket must be on the bottom.

Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: