Distributor removal

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Is it possible/feasible to remove the distributor (23D4) from a Twink without removing the Webers?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Yes, its no problem just a bit finicky.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks, Brian. Might be better than trying to replace the points and condenser with it in the car.
8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Galwaylotus wrote: Might be better than trying to replace the points and condenser with it in the car.

Absolutely, but now a 1000 people will tell you to fit electronic ign :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if sticky centrifugal weights in my distributor are the cause of my engine's very real reluctance to start when it has been unused for a few days.

I've tried just about everything else.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:45 pm

In my experience, the engine will start fairly easily with ign timing off by 20 degrees (crank) either way - which is roughly the total distance moved by the centrifugal advance - so it sounds unlikely to me.

I would check the theory out by just putting a strobe light on while cranking the engine and see roughly where the timing is.

Also, if the weights are sticking to that degree, I'd expect to see quite a lot of jitter in the timing when using a strobe when the engine is running.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:26 am

TO REMOVE THE DIST ----JUST REMOVE THE DIST CAP ---LOOSEN THE CLAMP and lift -------however it is wise to do this with the cams and pulley at tdc --front lobes out rear lobes in - timing marks in correct position -and to replace the dist follow the manual exactly ----the low tension wires adjacent to the block --make sure the slot in the rotor is at 6 o'clock as it will turn to the left [anti clock wise] into the correct position as it meshes - this will put #1 at the top slightly right and timing [1342] will be set in correct position --- the clamps will be vertical in a line at 90 degrees with the block --put plug in the wire and rotate the dist it will spark confirming #1 plug -otherwise you will chase the thing around for hours trying to get it started---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: