23D Distributor Removing

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:38 pm

I start a new topic about my distributor problem. I want either to send it to Distributor Doctor or repair it myself. But first I need to remove it.

When reading the Worshop Manual I see "The distributor can be removed and replaced without interfering with the ignition timing provided the clamp plate pinch-bolt is not disturbed". Now the problem is that the figure in the manual does not show a "clamp plate pinch-bolt".

Therefore I want to now what this means and would like to have the advice of one of you who have already removed a distributor.

I see two bolts. See pictures called "Bolt 1" and "Bolt 2". I also attach an extract of the Worshop Manual which shows Bolt 1 as reference 24 on the figure and Bolt 2 as reference 32 on the figure.

So tell me which one(s?) do I have to undo in order to remove the distributor and which one is the forbidden one I can not touch without disturbing timing.

Thanks.

Olivier.
Attachments
WSM Extract.JPG and
Worshop Manual Extract - Fig 17 23D distributor components
Bolt 2.JPG and
Bolt 2 - Reference 32 on the worshop manual 23 D distributor figure
Bolt 1.JPG and
Bolt 1 - Reference 24 on the worshop manual 23 D distributor figure
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm

I dont see how you could remove this without disturbing the timing...

But be that as it may...this is real simple.

remove the coil wire from the middle of the coil so you dont accidentily start the engine.

then take the dist. cap off the dist....jog the engine (you can use the solonoid button if your car has one) or the ignition key till you are at Top Dead Center on the crank pulley and your rotor is pointed at about 10 or 11 oclock on the Dist. That is top dead center.

Remove the dist by taking out the 7/16 inch bolt that holds it in.

As you pull the dist out...you will see the rotor turn counter clockwise and stop at about the 9pm spot. Your white connector that the dist to the coul will be right next to the block.

Remove the dist.

Keep the car as it is.

When you put the dist back in...place the rotor at 9pm with the white connector right next to the block. As is slides in it the rotor will rotate to 11 oclock. YOur car is back where you had it before.

That simple.
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:57 am

No matter which way you do it I'll bet you a Pound to a pinch of sh*t that you'll have to adjust/set the timimg when it's re-installed....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:15 am

Remove only bolt 1. Note the rotor 'clocking'. Pull distributor and note the rotation direction of the rotor. When re-installing, start with the rotor at the clocking point when the distributor was fully extracted and as you push it in, it'll rotate right to the point where it started (ha!).

Timing will be off but it should be close enough to start the car because your timing adjustment will be within the small slot movement of clamp, held by bolt 1.

Now for my second trick...... :lol:

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: