Re-installing Wiper motor and drive

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:19 pm

(another tale in the saga "I didn't take it apart so please help me").

I don't see this in prior posts or in the shop manual.

The drive to the wipers comes out of the motor in a series of bundy tubes with a gear takeoff for each wiper. Right now the entire system is connected - just not in the car. Since the tube has to go through the bulkhead, something has to come off.

I think it must be the motor, though there are few signs of it being taken off before. I'd just like to see if anyone confirms this.
o Take the covering plate off the motor / drive.
o Pry off clips & washers to remove the drive.
o Thread drive / tube through the bulkhead and reconnect to motor in situ.

It just seems like a messy solution (impractical for production too) but I don't see any other way. Anyone?

Thanks

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john122S » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello Keith.
Response is based on a total replacement on a 63 Jag and more recent change-out of dead motor on my +2: With wiper arms removed, you should be able to undo the nut at the drive/bundy tube connection and pull the rack/cable all the way out (the wiper heads will spin). The 3 bundy tube sections will be held in place by the cover plates on the two wheel boxes. If wheel boxes & tubes are lined up, the rack should go all the way back in through the engine compartment end with a moderate shove. You'll get grease all over your hands from the rack, which you might want to clean (toothbrush & solvent) and regrease if fossilized. Reconnect motor to bundy & wiring harness; run without blades to get heads stopped in park position (& see that it works), then snap on the wiper arms.
On the Jag it took a weekend to disassemble/reassemble the dash to get at the wheelboxes & tubes. I expect Lotus is no easier.
Cheers, John
john122S
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:28 pm

Aha! I get it. Thanks John.

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: