windscreen wiper motor

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:12 pm

Gentlemen,

A stupid question but....how do you disconnect and remove the windscreen wiper motor. I have followed the workshop manual,released the nut at the motor body etc but does the bundy tube disconnect from motor with a good pull? I don't seem to be able to disconnect it and don't want to break anything.

Second point - the mounts behind the bonnet release catches appear to be nothing more than plywood offcuts; tell me there is something more to them than offcuts from ACBC's boat building workshop (please!)

Regards

Martin B
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Martin,
Yes they're plywood offcuts.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:54 pm

They are not just plywood offcuts, they are wedge shaped plywood offcuts!

Spyder do (or used to do) aluminium replacements, which look a lot better.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:02 pm

martinbrowning wrote: ...but does the bundy tube disconnect from motor with a good pull?

From memory, if the 'rack' is in place, I think the rack & bundy pipe have to slide 'up' & out from the motor housing to release the rack end from the nylon gear... :?:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:04 am

martinbrowning wrote:I have followed the workshop manual,released the nut at the motor body etc but does the bundy tube disconnect from motor with a good pull? I don't seem to be able to disconnect it and don't want to break anything.

A good pull will break things. The "rack" is a wire rope core with another wire wrapped around it in a helix, this engages the drive wheels in the wiper gearboxes. You can remove the pressed aluminum plate from the wiper motor and separate the rack from the drive pin on the gear. Alternatively you can pull the rack out from the bundy tubing. To accomplish the latter you must remove the wiper arms from their drive shafts as the shafts will rotate quite a bit as the rack is withdrawn.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 am

My bonnet release catches are secured with a double spire nut thingy - see pic - OK so long as you don't remove both screws at once....don't ask!
These must have been introduced to save weight!!!
Attachments
Bonnet catch 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Continuing this thread in a different way a bit... I have a "putting it back together" question.

(remember... I was not the one that disassembled the car, though I am the one that messed this up a bit).

Simple problem, I hope, IF you know the answer.

I undid and pulled out the long bolt that holds the casing on the motor. Then pulled off the casing, exposing the armature (I believe it is... the ridged copper thingy (that's a tech term)) and the sprung brushes. Well sprung bushes.

So... how do I put it back together? Holding those springs back? It looks like one of those things that you need to be inside the unit to touch it (rather impossible).

Hesitating to take it further apart, wrongly, I thought I'd better check with the collective wisdon.

Thanks

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:37 am

Keith,

I had mine apart. Can't remember the layout exactly, but you must hold the brushes back by either inserting a couple of screwdrivers through holes holding them back during assembly, or you must wrap a piece of string around them pulling on the string causing them to retract during assembly. You may need three hands.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Mon May 05, 2008 9:28 am

Hi folks,

Many thanks to Mark for his advice on the plywood wedges behind the bonnet catches; just received an ali pair from Spyder - really much better than the wood. Cost is ?40 per pair (wife away at the moment!).

Regards to all

Martin B[/quote]
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon May 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:They are not just plywood offcuts, they are wedge shaped plywood offcuts!

Spyder do (or used to do) aluminium replacements, which look a lot better.

Mark

Plywood? that must be on the posh models, or maybe from the option list? mines are badly cracked box wood, in fact almost identical to the stuff they make pallets from!! :lol:
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Tue May 13, 2008 12:25 pm

Tower of strength,

Yup, only the posh ones had plywood. Yours must be a "Friday afternoon car" with wood taken from the pallet that the plywood came on for us posh b***ers..........

martin B
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: