Alternators

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:52 pm

I will be converting my Elan from dynamo to alternator at some point soon: Can anyone help me select which one? I'm trying to weigh up Brise versus a standard Lucas replacement from Paul Matty. There is a massive difference in price, it seems!

Greg
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:25 pm

ElanSeries2 wrote:There is a massive difference in price, it seems!

Greg,

It is even more massive when compared to junkyard prices. I would select one from a yard and unless it's in pristine condition, exchange it for a rebuilt one.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:53 am

I use a daihatsu one form the local junkyard. Most certainly the most reliable part of the car and it was very cheap!!!
You can not beat Nippon reliability!
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:53 am

I use a daihatsu one form the local junkyard. Most certainly the most reliable part of the car and it was very cheap!!!
You can not beat Nippon reliability!
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:42 am

Lucas 16ACR is fitted to mine. Just remember that you only need a small alternator as it does not have to drive much when compared to a modern car. Not that many electrical/electronic systems on an Elan :)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:08 am

Steve..you make a very good point...in fact, why not stick to a dynamo, unless you're going to add loads of electrical goodies to the Elan...which brings another problem...loom capacity.

I have an Elan with a dynamo, and one with an alternator. Both are standard apart from the alternator on the one car, and it makes no difference at all. At tickover, the indicators flash at the same speed, the wipers wipe and the windows go up and down much the same...in fact, the dynamo car windows are faster, but that's nothing to do with it having a dynamo.

I guess if all you do with the car is let it tick over once a month the alternator will charge the battery better, but that's about it. A lot of folks put the car away (mostly) for the winter, in which case the money for the alternator bits is better spent on a battery conditioner.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Or if, despite Mark's urgings, you still decide to take the alternator route you'll find that one off a Mini Mayfair (probably other versions too) fits straight on and has a pulley that lines up and is compatible with the dynamo belt. Twenty quid from a scrapyard.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Converting to an alternator seems to be a popular way to 'cure' (hide) the root cause of electrical problems. Perhaps it is easier than tracing a fault? :?
My preferred way of 'curing' (hiding) electrical problems is to buy a new heavy duty battery... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:48 pm

the biggest problem I have with converting to a lucas alternator is the mount only allows 1 1/2 inch adjustment before the unit fouls the steering column ---a real pita on a lhd car--ed
Attachments
P1010002.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Well, as you (rightly) suggest, Matthew, I "need" one to fix a few problems, not least of which is that I was going to install a gel-type battery behind the seat, as with a rollbar installed, the current battery won't fit. I'm not sure how well the gel battery will cope with the dynamo...

But I need to replace the loom anyway (as its crispy, with nicks in some bits (!)) and a few bits don't work at all (tacho, fuel gauge), and nothing, I repeat nothing works at idle - horn, lights, wipers... The last thing I want is dodgy electrics! Incidentally, I've just bought a fire extinguisher!

Thanks all for the feedback & advice!

Greg
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:13 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I have an Elan with a dynamo, and one with an alternator. Both are standard apart from the alternator on the one car, and it makes no difference at all. At tickover, the indicators flash at the same speed, the wipers wipe and the windows go up and down much the same

Mark,

That has not been my experience. Once I converted to an alternator, the indicators, which used to slow down at tickover while approaching a signal now maintain their speed. The wipers used to have two speeds, off and slow. With the alternator, they still have two speeds, but they are now slow and fast. Also, they no longer require lubrication (water on the windscreen) to operate. Before, the windows were painfully slow. Sometimes one of them actually required a helping hand to get to the top. Now, both work perfectly.

If you experience no difference in indicator, wiper, or window speed at tickover, I suggest that either your alternator is ready for a rebuild or your tickover speed on the dynamo car is higher than that on the alternator car. If alternators really make no difference, then I expect the automakers should be going back to dynamos soon. :wink:
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:59 pm

I knew you'd be in the forefront for the 'pro alternator' gang!
I'm no engineer, but surely all the alternator / dynamo does is charge the battery? If things are slow when the dynamo isn't charging (at tickover), then surely either the battery isn't producing enough power, or you have a higher resistance in the circuit somewhere, due to poor earths / connections, that the higher power produced by the alternator overcomes?

My S3 did have slow indicators and windows until I changed the chassis. That provided me with the opportunity to clean up all connectors and make sure that the earths were good. And it's been fine since...nothing slows down on tickover.

The alternator is certainly required for moderns, with all the gismos now seen as required. But Elans with decent wiring just don't need them...or at least, mine doesn't.

Long Live Positive Earth :D
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:08 pm

I reckon one of the best reasons for fitting an alternator is that you then don't have brushes that can wear out. (I figured this out after replacing brushes in the middle of a long journey through France, at around 29?C weather in a shady spot in a forest).
Gordon
1972 LHD Sprint 5 Cabriolet - sold!
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:20 pm

If you are happy with your dynamo you?re lucky, you must drive on clear roads . If you get stuck in traffic a lot or don?t get to drive your car as often as you would like it?s worth fitting an alternator. I have never needed my jump leads since fitting mine.

The problem with dynamos is you can?t spin them as fast as alternators so you get no output at idle. In a dynamo the heavy main windings rotate and the field windings are fixed, in an alternator it?s the other way round.

Alan.
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:56 am

I can't really comment on on the Dynamo vs Alternator discussion and I guess it all depends on what you use the car for. I recently replaced the alternator on my +2 after the 'standard' (the car was originally a dynamo version) alternator failed. I used a new 55amp unit which makes an enormous difference to the useability of the car in these dark days and nights of a British winter. This is probably of no interest to Elan owners, but the continuous use of heated rear window, heater, wipers, headlamps, windows, dash lights and even fog lamps places a huge strain on the charging system. I had to mess about with different fan belts to get the right one and was careful to align the pulleys, but the payoff has been worth it. The car works.

For interest the alternator I used was a Lucas A460, with a suitable pulley fitted. This has a modern rectifier, a replaceable electronics pack and is widely available. The unit is slightly fatter and shorter than the standard unit which has some benefits by the exhaust manifold. A very worthwhile upgrade, if you don't mind the non original look.

I have not had any cable loading issues, yet, but (as most owners do) I keep a fire extinguisher in the cabin!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: