Horn wont stop sounding

PostPost by: andrewdmoore » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Had some work done on the electrics behind the dash which involved removing the steering column. Now every time I turn on the ignition the horn sounds. Its nothing to do with the horn push as I've removed that.

Any ideas about what I may have dislodged or not replaced properly?

Thanks, Andrew
andrewdmoore
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Andrew,

The horn push provides an earth to complete the circuit to the horn.

So assuming you have taken the horn push off and removed the spring loaded slipper rod beneath it and the horn still sounds i would suspect that you have either plugged the horn earth wire into a constant earth by mistake or alternatively trapped it in one of the steering column fixings.

You will have to trace the wire down until you locate the problem

Good luck
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:55 pm

my take on the problem is the steering wheel mount is touching the outer shaft where they revolve a slight gap must be present or a short occurs ---if they disturbed this relationship by dropping the shaft to remove the dash the horn will short there ---ed :?
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:56 pm

Try moving the steering wheel out a bit ,by adjusting the length in the footwell
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:46 pm

I agree that it is most likely to be the steering wheel & inner steering column too far down, BUT the Lotus 'immobiliser/alarm' system hasn't been accidentally switched on has it? Check the glove box...

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:04 am

I used some thin plastic sheets to make a couple of washers to stop the center of the steering wheel shorting on the outer casing. If got very embarassing when the horn went off every time I turned a corner...

I seem to remember another problem where the adjusting clamp at the bottom kept hitting a part of the 'pedal box' mounting frame when the steering wheel was turned as well?

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: