Starter switch on S2 Baby Elan

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:20 pm

I would like to undo the locking barrel from the starter switch to clean up inside... I found there is a little opening at the underside of the assembly.
Is there a way to disassemble the unit? ( I mean in a way that its reusable afterwards... :wink: )

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:49 pm

In to off position, insert a needle or scribe directly into the hole you found. If you get it in the corrposition and press the scribe in it will release the barral of the lock. That is as much dissassembly as I have done with the ignition switch. electrical contact/switch cleaner in to the same hole will probably clean the contacts as much as needed.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Have the key in the barrel when you pull it out, else the bits go every where!
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:32 am

When you have the barrel out look carefully thre will be a key code stamped on it. With this code you can have keys made without the original key. I had this done and it was amazing how different the new code cut key was comapred to the original. The key also worked much better. I used these guys, http://www.key-men.com/ I also had bought a couple of blanks just in case.

I believe this is the blank I used; Ilco #: 62FS.

My notes show these should also work:
Dominion #: 62DR
Taylor #: S71B
Curtis #: UN18
Silca #: UNI11A
Star #: UN3
OEM #: Union
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:12 pm

:D ...thank you guys, have the thing out! The code is the original one.
I will try limora, they offer the original shaped FS keys.

I had to do the starter on my VW Polo - the pre-engagement plunger was stuck. After 24 years of brave work it was quite acceptable to fail. Good news - just cleaned everything, some moly on it and it started like the B of the bang.... and the pinion didn't show any wear :shock: after 180.000 miles!
PS: starter jobs on Polos are :twisted: - you could do ten Elan starters in the same time.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: