Electronic Ignition

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:43 am

Hi All

I am going to upgrade the ignition on my elan +2 130s to electronic ignition plus sports coil and have recently a secondhand but unused lumenition optronic electronic ignition kit. However, I have also seen that there are a number of magnet based kits that simply replace the points without the need for the control box associated with the lumenition system, thus making it attractive from the point of view of keeping the engine bay looking original and not having to find somewhere to mount the box.

Hence I was wondering what peoples opinions, good and bad, are about the two diffrerent systems so I can make up my mind which one to fit.

Thanks

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:52 am

Andy,

Aldon Igniter fitted with standard coil ........... 3 years on I'm glad I did it :D

As you say, it's a very neat installation because it's all inside the distributor.

My unmodified rev' counter is a bit erratic at times but I can live with that.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:57 am

Hi Andy

If you search this forum you will see lots of postings about lumenition and bouncing rev counters. I opted for the optical lumenition as I have heard bad things about the magnetic systems, people say the magnets fly apart at high revs and then you are stuck on the motorway :cry:

My rev counter works great until I switch on the side lights then it dies.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:13 am

Hi Andy,
I've fitted a Luminition optical ignition and am very happy with it. Car definitely starts easier and ran a tad smoother after fitting. My rev counter bounced before I fitted it and still bounces since fitting. :)
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:16 am

I fitted a new electronic distributer and solid state coil from H&H Ignition Solutions, and am very pleased with it.

To save money I should have sent them the old distributer for conversion to electronic. I shall get this done in due course and sell it on eBay.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Had a lumenition. Rev counter bounced like crazy. Changed to Petronix ignition and coil. Works perfectly on all fronts. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:54 pm

have an aldon ignitor.
Works well..
REv counter worked well for 6 months then caught fire! (don't think it was linked with the ignition, worn wire.
Replaced the REv counter innards with a Voltage triggered one and works well now
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:41 am

Have been looking at the posts with interests and the concensous seems to be that the aldon system wins out on points due to the rev counter problems. Interestingly though, I have been looking on line for a LU148 aldon unit as this should be the one for the Lucas 23D distributor and no one seems to sell that particular Aldon unit anymore.

I did look the the lumenition magnet unit but have to say it loks very flimsy and the magnets do look as though they could come out on it at high revs as unlike the laodn unit they are not encapsulated in epoxy.

Anyone seen a source for the right Aldon unit please?

Thanks

Andy 8)
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:44 am

Andy, maybe I have missed something but have you not dealt direct with Aldon?

If you have read back, you will note problems with high voltage coils and SAE ratings for the dizzy cap.

Mike :?
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:25 am

I haven't been able to speak to them in person yet. There website is not listing one for the 23d anymore hence my confusion, there is one that says "Aldon Ignitor unit to suit 22D4-25D4 and DM2-40510A" which may cover the range from 22D to 25D but am not sure till I speak to them. have just been reading an old thread on this issue and looks like the 25D kit fits anyway, although adjustment to the rotor arm might be required.

The coil I am fitting is a new old stock lucas sports coil, as trying to keep engine bay looking original, with useful upgrades discretely tucked away, rather than one of the very modern ones.

Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:44 am

Well that's the correct Aldon Ignitor ordered from the States for just over ?50 including p&p, where the price over hear would be around ?76 plus p&p.

My suspicion about the Lumenition unit seems to be correct, as the are several thread on triumph related forums with members who units have given up but they are reporting no trouble with the Aldon unit. Just looking at the pictures the Lumenition unit looks flimsy where as the Aldon unit looks nice and solid.

So thanks one and all, looks like the outcome is that I am going to give the Aldon Magnet system a go as it seems to have less problems associated with it than the traditional Lumenition optical system. I?ll keep the optical unit in hand until the other system has proved itself then it will be up for grabs if anyone?s interested, if not it will get listed on ebay from whence it came.

Cheers and thanks as ever for all your help

Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:56 am

Hi andy,

Been following your thread with intrest as I had decided to go down the Aldon path. Was intrested that you had ordered it from the states though, whenever I have looked on the net I could only get a price from Aldon in the UK, and I could get it cheaper from Burtons :shock: Could you please let me know where you ordered yours from.

Thanks,
Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:07 am

Chris

I orderred it from http://www.vintageperformance.com/retro ... /lotus.htm who seem to ship them regularly to the UK as they have dedicated pages for UK ordering. They accept payments via PayPal which makes life alot easier and just the same as using EBay where I think we all buy parts!

I'll let you know about the service when mine arrives!

Cheers

Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Andy,

Thanks for that.
Which unit did you order?, I notice you mentioned the LU148, but no one over here seems to have heard of that and have told me I need a LU142A. The site you sent me has both :?. By the way I am running a '69 +2S, distributor is a Lucas 23D4.

Cheers,

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 pm

The LU148 is the Aldon listed one for the Lucas 23D distributor. The one you mentioned I believe is for the 25D and the difference is something to do with the number of screw holes and the need maybe to trim the bottom of the rotor arm to clear the base plate. I found a thread on here yesterday dealing with the issue, I didn't like the sound of it so went with buying the right unit to do the job. Something about get the right tool do the job once...
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: