Distributor and synthetic fluid

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi there,
Just a couple of questions:
a. Has anybody fitted the new ignition system/distributor marketed by SC Parts at Crawley? Is it really that good?
b. I have Automec synthetic brake fluid in my +2. The front brakes have developed a noticeable lag when the brake pedal is released. Yes, I know that this can be caused by several factors but I'm told that it is a common trait with synthetic fluid. Should I revert to a mineral based fluid and if I do, does the system need a thorough clean through?

Regards from a sunny Belfast - doesn't happen very often

Martin
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 am

The distributor you mention is not available for Ford based engines yet, it has the wrong type of drive. They are currently working on a Ford based design which should be available early 2008.

As for brake fluid I use Castrol SRF, not cheap but very good.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am

Hi martin

I had a similar problem in my plus 2 when running synthetic fluid due to swelling of the seals in the booster causing it to stick on. Disconnect and bypass the booster to see if the problem goes away. If this is the cause then the booster needs a seal replacement and the system needs to be thoroughly cleaned if goign away from silicone based DOT 5 fluid as DOT 5 and other non silicone fluids ( DOT 3, 4 or 5.1) do not mix.

Compatabilty of DOT 5 fluid with early Girling brake seal components seems to not be reliable. Some people report no problems others report problems with seal failure.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: