Elan dash wiring question

PostPost by: SimonP66 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I've asked a mate of mine who's an electrical engineer to help me with re-wiring the Elan [S2 - '66] (I'd be useless!). I've got the correct loom(s) etc but he's got stuck on one part of it. I've pointed him in the direction of the wiring diagram on here as an additional help but this is his question, can anybody help?

Basically, for the panel Lamp switch (which is physically the same as the Main lights switch) it is unclear which wires go to which terminals from the attached diagram. There are terminals on the switch numbered 1 to 8 and I need to know which colored wired go to which terminals. If you look at the diagram the main light switch has the terminals numbered but the panel lamp switch seems to be shown as a variable resistor with no terminal numbers!

Cheers in advance
Attachments
Elan1.JPG and
Restored an S2 Elan from March '66 - now needs an engine rebuild!
SimonP66
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:04 pm

SimonP66 wrote:Hi All,Basically, for the panel Lamp switch (which is physically the same as the Main lights switch) it is unclear which wires go to which terminals from the attached diagram. There are terminals on the switch numbered 1 to 8 and I need to know which colored wired go to which terminals. If you look at the diagram the main light switch has the terminals numbered but the panel lamp switch seems to be shown as a variable resistor with no terminal numbers!Cheers in advance

Simon,
On an S2 Elan the panel light switch is not the same as a H/L switch, it is a rheostat. The toggle operates a slide that goes across a variable resistance to change the brightness of the dash lights. From memory it only has two connections, maybe someone has fitted a H/L switch as the original rheostat switch is very hard to find and very expensive.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon May 21, 2007 1:07 pm

I can provide a clarification -

early cars had a simple reostat for dimming the instument lights in addition they had a seperat single throw switch for a Pannel lamp. Make sure you are not confusing the two.

The main switch is not like either of these ( OFF, ON, ON ) for position one (off) has head lamps flashing when raised. secone poistion is running/parking lights on, with head lamps flashing when raised. last on position keeps lamps on steady when raised.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:14 pm

[quote="cabc26b"] early cars had a simple reostat for dimming the instument lights in addition they had a seperat single throw switch for a Pannel lamp. Make sure you are not confusing the two.quote]

Cab, are you saying that the earlier cars had both these panal switches or that the earlier cars had one switch and the later cars had both?
my S2 only has the one rehostat switch but it is a very early S2.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon May 21, 2007 2:02 pm

My S4 came with a two position rocker switch, off and on. In the case of the panel lights, this translated to off and dim. I upgraded the 2.2w bulbs to 4w for the small instruments and 6w for the large ones. Big difference. Now I can actually read the instruments at night!

Further, I got tired of having to pull the headlight knob, flip the side and tail switch, and then flip the panel switch (which isn't even close to the other two) every time I wanted to drive at night, so I wired the panel lights into the side/tail switch. Then I replaced the panel switch with a washer switch (momentary on) and connected this to a transmitter for the garage door opener.

No more guessing what the instruments say at night. One less switch to flip when I want to drive at night. No more fumbling for the opener. No more replacement of the batteries in the opener.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Mon May 21, 2007 3:58 pm

...on my S2 (original loom and works!)its like this:
- from main light switch red wire goes to rehostat (has a double crimp spade) and runns from there to bulkhead nearside (behind wiper motor)
and splits in front drive lights and rear lights.
This is basic light supply line.
- via rehostat adjustable resistor doublespade connector two red/white wires to speedo/fuel and tacho/dual gauge bullet connectors.
The two empty spades on rehostat can be used for cigarette lighter light,
preferrably the adjustable line. You might cover the blank spade terminal to avoid accidents... or use it for an additional instrument.
- the panel light switch is fed by one terminal of the ignition switch, has a purple wire and is permanent live. It has a bullet connector to dash lamp (purple white), from there as purple black to another bullet connector, then runns in purple white to a triple junction spade terminal (all purple white) on panel light switch, then from switch in black to earth bullet connector and from there to earth via heaterbracket chassisbolt.
The two other purple white wires on panel light switch spade crimp(the triple one) come from the door light /courtesy light switches.
oh dear... :roll:
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SimonP66 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks all, I'll pass it on to him and see if it makes sense :D
Restored an S2 Elan from March '66 - now needs an engine rebuild!
SimonP66
New-tral

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon May 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Brian -

I was refering to the switch that controls the interior light that works off the doors -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue May 22, 2007 11:03 am

photos are as removed from 26/4997, they may be of use but the area you are looking for is covered by the harness.
Attachments
s2dashbackmid.jpg and
s2dashbacka.jpg and
s2dashback.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: