Headlight Problem

PostPost by: Kets » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi all

Had a problem with the +2 other day. Popped up the headlights but they wouldn?t turn on.

After putting them up and down a few times they eventually worked. But after putting them down and up again I couldn?t get them back on.

They have been very Intermittent (more off then on) ever since.

The headlights go up and down with no problems and are on a non failsafe system. Side lights work OK

Anyone got any idea?s what the problem might be?

Thanks
69 Elan +2
Kets
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 pm

Look at the wiring diagram in the workshop manual and you will find a contact switch, much like a courtesy light switch for the doors operated by the light pod when they go away from the down position. There are in fact two of these on the LH pod, one for the light circuit relay and the other for the flasher relay. any malfunction could be caused by any one of these components or the wiring and connectors. Have a first look at the earth connections. It sounds a bit laborious but it is the only way involving a process of elimination to solve a lack of illumination.

Gordon
(Rhubarb & Custard)
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Kets » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:02 pm

I did test the contact switch and it seems to be working OK.

I was going to replace it with a new one anyway but SJ 's says they are now obsolete.

anyone know where I can get one?
69 Elan +2
Kets
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:08 am

I'd check the wires connected to the switches behind the dash too. Maybe remove wires one at a time, squirting electrical cleaner in the sockets one by one and sliding them back on. Or, it could be the switch itself, internally. Good Luck. Eric ps ; just re-read your description and I'll add, I'd do the same at the headlamps, remove and clean the wire connection sockets.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:54 am

Hi

You should also check the contacts on the column stalk.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:41 am

Kets wrote:I did test the contact switch and it seems to be working OK.

I was going to replace it with a new one anyway but SJ 's says they are now obsolete.

anyone know where I can get one?

Hi Kets,

I am sure I got 2 for my S4 from Sue Miller, if you have not had anything from her before she is most helpful. May be not exactly original style but they do the job. :lol:

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Kets » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Talked to Sue at Millers with no joy.

I have now taken the original switch apart and found it was full of old hard grease. I cleaned it up and put a smear of new grease on, cleaned the contacts and put it back together all seems ok now.

Thanks for the help.
69 Elan +2
Kets
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: