Anyone use an Aldon / Peritronix Igniter 2 ?

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 pm

I was just having a look at the Pertronix web page and they now have a new and improved Mk 2 version. Look at http://pertronix.com/ and click Products and then Igniter II

Has anyone got one?

I am just about to buy one but maybe I should get a Mk2......
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 pm

I noticed the Igniter II when looking at Demon Tweaks yesterday. I intend to check-out the price difference between the US & UK.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... lgrp=MS003

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:14 pm

I tried one on an old Y-block Ford (292 V-8) and wasn't happy with it at all!! My twincams make over 9500 on points and a Studebaker rotor.
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:03 am

a stude rotor??? tell me more oh wise one -- :shock: -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't have a p/n for the rotor, but the year is '52 which narrows it down to two ( 6 or V8), they're from Standard, there is also a nice dual point available from Mallory (1600[ Kent] Pinto) if you don't mind setting it up on the bench! Cheaper than lucas, mine cost $35 new.
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:06 pm

We hear from Oldokie that he was unsatisfied with the Pertronix Ignitor. Yet curiously, we do not hear any stated reason for his lack of mirth. :?

Oldokie is, I believe, the first person across three Lotus lists encompassing multiple engine types to be dissatisfied with the conversion. I'll be so bold as to suggest that before people accept his sage advice, they first learn on what basis he offers it. Perhaps he could not figure out how to wire it into the tremblor coils on his Flivver?

My personal experience, with an Ignitor II in my Renault Europa, is that it was a piece of cake to install, had no impact on the RVI tach, and is at least as good as the perfectly satisfactory points it replaced. As a simple reliability measure, I would recommend the Ignitor to anyone who is currently running a breaker system.

Don't let me keep you from your local Studebaker dealer, though. :roll:
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:51 pm

Last I checked (when the Ignitor II came out a year or two ago) the Ignitor II was not available for the TwinCam since it would not fit in the distributor.

So I do not think you will find anyone with experience with it in the Elan. If they have come out with one for our distribuotrs I would be interested for no other reason than the current cutoff when the engine is stopped.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 am

According to the Pertronix catalog the 23D4 distributor only supports the original Igniter not the Igniter II

Although it is supported for the 43D4 distributor

So can this distributor be used in a twin cam or BDA ?

I also like the look of the Pertronix second strike CDI unit ,there is good test of this in a recent Hot Rod magazine
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 am

Good morning Bruce,
I purchased an Igniter for my 23D4 distributor in April last year through a company called West Coast Core in the US.
It cost in total $110.90 so based upon todays exchange rate it is about ?60.00!
The only thing to be aware of is that they were built to order so it took about 8 weeks before it arrived.

The model I purchased was the Ignitor LU-148. Since I installed it in the car I have had nothing but first time starting - very simple to install and works perfectly.
Before I installed it I had nothing but trouble, the car would never start first time, you had to have a full battery and I never had a good reliable spark - best thing I have ever installed.

good luck
Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:06 pm

OK Thank you to evreyone for the opinions and advice.
I have gine for the Standard Ignitor 1

All I need now is to reassemble the engine, finish the body, rear bearings ...........

;-)
Bruce

PS Watch out for more dumb questions, as I get closer to finishing I'll be asking lots!
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: