Electric window motor

PostPost by: MintSprint » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:08 pm

I'm stripping down one of my window motors at the moment, because it was getting a bit slow.

The drive 'dog' (ie. driven plate with two pegs that engages with the window winder mechanism) has rubber sleeves on the drive pegs. I've not come across this on other Elans. Is it standard, or should thedrive pegs really drive bare steel against the nylon spool of the winder mechanism?
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:12 pm

The rubber sleeve is/should be standard on the drive pegs. Mine had worn so badly it was running on steel peg to nylon spool. I replaced these sleeves with plastic tube, I think it was from the windscreen washer tube.
The sleeve needs to be a tight fit over the drive pegs (warm them up in hot water) but of small enough dia. to fit inside the spool. This will give a small amount of `cushion` when the glass is fully up or fully down, i.e. stalled, it will also stop the spool from wearing. I replaced mine many years ago and there still o.k.
Regards JOHN.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:13 pm

The rubber sleeve is/should be standard on the drive pegs. Mine had worn so badly it was running on steel peg to nylon spool. I replaced these sleeves with plastic tube, I think it was from the windscreen washer tube.
The sleeve needs to be a tight fit over the drive pegs (warm them up in hot water) but of small enough dia. to fit inside the spool. This will give a small amount of `cushion` when the glass is fully up or fully down, i.e. stalled, it will also stop the spool from wearing. I replaced mine many years ago and there still o.k.
Regards JOHN.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks for that, John.

My new drive bracket has pegs of a slightly smaller diameter than the old one, so the old rubber sleeves are a bit too big, but I'm sure I'll figure a solution... so long as I know that they should be there!
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:29 am

My window motors had a plastic sleeves on them from new. If Lotus put the sleeves on they probably used what ever spare tubing they had on hand so replacement using this method should be considered "original"

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: