Switch under the passenger side...connected to horn!!

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:13 am

Hi There

My 1971 +2s has a little slider switch under the passenger side trim on top of where your knees woudl be. If it is slid to the left then the air horns run at about 1/2 speed, and the car will not run. Someone said it is a security switch in which case I can understand the car not running, but the air horn bit has me scratching my head. The horn works just fine from the horn push.

Sounds like a bad earth soomehow, and not a good one to have! Any ideas appreciated.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:55 am

Berni
The switch should protrude into the glovebox and is your "anti-theft device", it switches the ignition feed to the horns,as for your half speed,it looks like you have a high resistance connection somewhere..
It is generally more trouble than it is worth and is best bypassed,,,,
I don't know if this is a complete "changeover " switch and if so can one start the engine from the horn button??

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:45 pm

This slide switch turns off coil primary power and connects the horn to ground as the horn button does.

It is designed so as to turn on the horn if an attempt is made to power the car and start the engine. If ,you were to put the switch "on" anti theft after the ignition is off, the coil would be disconected and the horn "ON". In the event the ignition is forced on as in a theft attempt the horn will sound.

I replaced my slide switch with a high quality toggle switch with a flip cover. It fits nicely in the original position in the side of the glove box.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:46 am

Hi

Thank you all for clarifying that. I can cross that off the list for the moment then!

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: