Auto Electrican - Herts & Beds Area

PostPost by: nico506 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi All,
Further to my experiences in rewiring a lotus elan which at the stage where I am n-nn-nervous of even powering up the circuits - even though all wires have been checked and double checked.

Does any one know of a good auto electrican who knows plastic cars and electrics and able to assist.

I live in Bedfordshire- any contacts appreciated.

I am just keen to sign off the wiring - so that I can move to the next fun stage - fitting out the car and running it after 33 years of being laid up in bits.

Thanks in advance for help/contacts.

Cheers
Nico
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:02 am

Have an extinguisher handy (not the dry chemical type) I use haylon. The dry chemical really makes a mess and is corrosive. get Tracy Martins book How to diagnose and repair automobile electrical systems. It will tell you all you need to know in a easy manner (amazon.com $16) I cannot say enough good things about it.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Watch out with the Halon type... Halon has a tendency to be pretty bad for you when you inhale it.
Even if something goes wrong I guess the fuses would blow before you get a fire startde, or am I thinking in a very awkward way now?
I'd keep a bucket of sand nearby. Effectively kills the fire and doesn't mess up you or any plastics nearby. Also it has the advantage of being easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner or a hose. No risk of getting a shortcircuit either.

//J
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:27 am

Halon works by removing all oxygen. Leaves no residue which is why they use it on computers.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:01 pm

Wich is also why you should be careful... Removing oxygen is not a very nice thing if you are intending to breathe around the car...
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: