Can you recommend an alarm?

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:38 pm

I am just at the stage of putting bits back on my S4DHC and I want to fit an alarm.
I want a discreet installation and I want to intstall the wiring while it is practically a bare shell.

What circuits should be immobilised? Ignition is obvious. Maybe the starter solenoid, but is there anything else that will slow down a thief?

How about brands of Alarm? Any suggestions?
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:24 pm

If I was you,the first step would be a discarnect? battery isolation switch(with 3 amp bypass fuse if required) hidden away to isolate the battery completely,this can be fitted under the dash,in the boot,anywhere in the main battery lead,suite yourself.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Bruce,

Search for battery disconnect on eBay.

ebay.co.uk does not have much of a selection.

ebay.com (US) has a good selection, including both types of battery posts.

You could either mount it in the boot right by the battery. You would have to lift the lid to arm it each time you leave the car, a minor inconvenience.

Or you could mount it by the starter solenoid. Now you have to pop the bonnet to disconnect the battery.

Both of these have the advantage of being easy to install.

Since the shell is open, installing the switch in the main battery line but accessable from the cockpit is feasible. Remember, the battery cable is large and heavy and requires specialized tools to cut and install connectors which tools are not inexpensive. It might be better to get two lengths of battery cable with pre-installed connectors.

By the way, the wiring diagram for the S4 shows a theft deterrent switch. Slide the switch to armed position, and if the ignition is jumped, the horn blows.

As a last thought, consider how likely it is that your Lotus will be stolen.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:50 pm

msd1107 wrote:Search for battery disconnect on eBay.

ebay.co.uk does not have much of a selection.

ebay.com (US) has a good selection, including both types of battery posts.

I purchased one off the shelf from my local auto parts store, no big deal. I installed it in the engine compartment where the battery cable enters. It comes with a big red plastic lever "key" (and a spare). When you switch the key to off, the key can be removed so even if the thief finds it, chances are he will not have a spare key with him.

This cut off proved invaluabe when I was doing a major rewiring of the car. It was reassuring to be able to easliy turn off the power after a day of work, knowing that even if I did something wrong, the car was not going to burst into flames while I was sleeping.

I'll admit that the switch did cause me trouble at first. While I was testing circuits, sometimes they would not work like they were supposed to. After many frustrating failures, I traced the problem down to the cut off switch. Sure enough, it was defective. I took it back to the store and exchanged it and have had no problems since then.

Here's the weird part. The switch is not made by Lucas, but guess where it's made. That's right, England. No offense to all of you British listers, but that's the fact. (Before I get flamed, in my defense, I must say that if I had a problem with the British, I wouldn't have purchased two Lotuses, collected every Rolling Stones and Police CD available, and married a Brit.) :)
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:28 am

I my Sprint the isolation switch is on the battery, and every time I park the car - even in my garage, I remove the key. This may be a slight inconvenience, but it gives me some peace of mind against opportunist thieves.
Over and above this simple deterrent, I would only consider a GPS Tracker linked to my mobile phone.

By the way, I removed the original security switch in the glove box as I always thought it to be a ?micky-mouse? device.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:21 am

I have a battery isolating switch on the negative post of my battery. Generally I isolate the battery whenever I park the car (out or at home in garage) - so no fires. When I want security, after isolating the battery, I just lock the boot.
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:46 pm

I like the battery isolator idea - especially with a small fuse fitted. It means I can use it when I am testing out the electrics when I get that far!

I think I will still fit a simple alarm, I would like to be able to use the car for work during the summer, so it's worth having the peace of mind.
I'll use the door switches and fit a switch to the boot and use the immobiliser on the ignition.

Thanks for the inputs
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: