Small/mini alternator

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:05 pm

There are a couple of posts regarding the small, usually Japanese, lightweight, alternative alternators. One from a Chevrolet and another, a race one (maybe from Racemettle or TTR).

I'd like to know if anyone has done this conversion using a scrap one, or a new one, what car did it come from? (my Corolla's one looks a likely candidate), what problems did they overcome regarding mounting and wiring?

Before the internet existed I'd have scoured the Car Parts Shop with a scrap of paper, ruler, diagrams and measurements, with any luck the wonder of the web will fit in nicely with my now more sedentary lifestyle.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:28 pm

I went to the junk yard a couple of years ago looking for one out of a three cylinder Geo Metro mainly because I figured it would be the smallest available. After much "research", I settled on one from a 1988 Mazda 323. This unit is made by Mitsubishi and I chose it for two reasons. First, I can't remember the style of pulley the Geo Metro alternator had, but the Mitsubishi alternator had a "V" belt pulley on it that matched the other pulleys on the car, so I wouldn't have to deal with changing that out. Second, it was obvious that this particular one had been rebuilt recently as it was the cleanest part on the car!

Along with the alternator, I pulled the adjustment bracket from the car (and a couple of others from other cars) and welded up a new mounting bracket to replace the original one designed for the Lucas generator.

A member of our local Lotus club provided me with a copy of the wiring diagram that is required and I was able to complete the conversion at a reasonable price. One of the best upgrades I have done to the car.

By the way, I just got home from a run to a tea tasting store with my wife. It is +12 degrees F (-11 degrees C). As we have avoided snow so far this winter (followed by the inevitable salt), I took the Elan which I keep in a detached unheated garage. Despite 10W-40 oil, it started right up and ran perfectly. (The oil pressure was way up there, so I took it easy until it warmed up.) The only time the heater had trouble keeping up was on the highway because the top (hood) has a couple of air leaks near the top corners of the windshield (windscreen).

Certain members of the local British car clubs are in the habit of meeting for breakfast every Saturday at a local diner. The turnout is usually between 20 and 30. Each week as the temperature drops, less and less British cars show up. Yesterday, the only other British car in the parking lot (besides mine) was a Spridget.

We'll see who is the last to put his car away for the winter!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:54 pm

A bit disapointed that you had the roof up Frank!!! :lol:

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:47 pm

If I had any hair (or at least a hat), I would have had it down!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Frank,

Do not at any time consider putting a dynamo vee belt to an alternator. To get the drive needed for an alternator will wreck the water pump in 100 miles.
Fit a deep vee belt designed for alternators - they can be identified as having slots on the inside periphery. This belt will have the necessary frictional contact with the pulley with less tension that that needed for a dynamo.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:22 am

Brian,

Thanks for the advice. When I was finished with the conversion, because the alternator pulley was of a different diameter than that of the generator and because the final location of the alternator was slightly different that of the generator, the "V" belt that had been on the car would not fit. I went to the parts store and purchased three different sized belts hoping that one of them would (and one of them did). As it turned out, all three belts had the slots on the inside periphery as you described, probably because with the demise of the generator, auto parts stores nowadays stock belts designed for alternators only.

So I guess I put the right belt on, but through no conscious effort on my part. Thanks for the insight Brian.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:26 am

When I did my conversion to alternator I purchased a Dave Bean ribbed belt kit. It comes with a new pulley for the crank, water pump and alternator. You can run these pretty loose, but not too as in the beginning I never had enough current.

It was near 80 F today here in Tampa Florida. So this evening I gave my WRX a much deserved bath. A pair of shorts and sandals for me, no long pants, much less a sweater or jacket. Friday it was so warm I broke down and wore a Hawaiian shirt to work. Still waiting for winter.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:26 am

i just did the converion using a mini alternator kit from RD Enterprises. It is very good, though I found I still needed some fabrication of the adjuster bracket from my old English Delco unit. Saved a lot of weight, though, and a lot more output.
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:01 am

type36lotus wrote:It was near 80 F today here in Tampa Florida. So this evening I gave my WRX a much deserved bath. A pair of shorts and sandals for me, no long pants, much less a sweater or jacket. Friday it was so warm I broke down and wore a Hawaiian shirt to work. Still waiting for winter.

Mike,

Give me an update when hurricane season begins. :D
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 am

"Tea Tasting" Frank ,are you going soft on the other side of the lake?
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:36 am

John,

Not exactly my thing. You'll notice that I mentioned that I brought my wife. She's English and I really did it for her. They had probably 200 teas to sample and if you liked one, you could buy it for about $14 a pound. That's about L8 pound sterling for a pound of tea! I tried 4 or 5 of them and most of them tasted like someone poured a bottle of perfume into the tea bag. Even my British wife didn't like it. Call me old fashioned, but I like plain tea without any weird flavoring. Needless to say, the best part was the drive there and back in the Elan.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: builder618 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:45 pm

:) Got mine from a Suzuki Samauri. Very small and single wire hook up.
builder618
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: builder618 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:46 pm

:) Got mine from a Suzuki Samauri. Very small and single wire hook up.
builder618
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:41 am

Frank Howard wrote:If I had any hair (or at least a hat), I would have had it down!

No Hair, roof down, = BLISS!! LoL I've had several rag tops, the Spitfire in the snow storm (ok, 3 inches in an hour but this is the UK), roof down caused a multiple pile up and a tug from the law (I was toastie warm with the tonneau and a wooly hat) they let me go with a warning, something about creating a spectacle that caused a distraction hence accident, car was legit so they could swivel(I was 18 ). I just loved the roof down experience and only torrential rain would force the top on (coldest I know of was minus 6 in a Saab)

as for uprated alternators, the std unit is available with up to 55Amp as far as I'm aware, surely thats enough?

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:10 pm

:shock: Are you confident that your primary wiring (everything associated with the supply side connecting alternator, battery, and ammeter) is up to the maximum output capability of your upgraded alternator?

If not, you may be investing in a new wiring harness or more shortly. :cry: The original design enforces no current limitation on what most agree are undersized wires.

Virtually any modern alternator will introduce you to this risk, whether you're prepared to manage it or not.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: