Wiper switch

PostPost by: andrewdmoore » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:40 pm

My wipers have konked out and I'm sure its the switch.

Is there a smart way of removing the switch from the front of the dash instead of from the back? I have taken all the bolts out of the dash & can pull it out so far, but it jams on the steering column.

Why O why they didn't design the switches like on my Stag where you can simply ease then out of the dash with your fingernails I really cant think!

All advice appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew
andrewdmoore
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:35 pm

"Why O why they didn't design the switches like on my Stag where you can simply ease then out of the dash with your fingernails [?]"

Andrew,

If they designed these cars to be reliable and easy to work on, the repair bills would have been reasonable and as a result, they would have sold many more of them making them less collectible and less valuable than they are today.

The first thing I would do is remove the steering wheel, the underdash trim, and driver's seat. Go into the Lotus position and check that the motor is getting a good ground. Also, try running 12V straight to the motor to see if it works. If it doesn't, then the problem is with the motor. However, if it does work and the switch is at fault as you originally predicted, then the dash can come out further by removing the two nuts that hold the decorative column clamp to a bracket that is between the speedometer and the tachometer. These are a pain to get at, but can be reached with a 7/16" wrench. You'll notice that the studs are much longer than they need to be. I shortened mine when I had the clamp out making it easier to put the nuts back on. Once the clamp is off, you can remove the plastic covers over the two stalks, disconnect the electrical connections to the stalks (be sure to mark them because the colors change at the connections), remove the stalks, and remove the impact clamp located further down the column near the firewall. There is one other clamp located near the impact clamp that holds the lower part of the outer column to the car. Take this off using a 1/2" wrench and you should be able to remove the column. Once this is out, the dash should pull back enough for you to get to the back of the switch. If you still can't get it out far enough, you will have to release the heater and choke cables.

Sorry this wasn't the answer you were hoping for. Chances are, once you get the dash out this far, you will notice all sorts of problems that can be fixed while you're in there. For instance, there will never be a more convenient time to remove the motor for cleaning and lubrication. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: