Variable speed windshield wiper?

PostPost by: msd1107 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:52 am

Looking at the wiring diagram, there are two wires going to the windshield wiper motor.

I presume one is the full 12 volts, and one is a lesser voltage that comes from the windshield wiper switch.

Now for the question.

If a variable voltage was presented to the high speed terminal of the windshield moter, would it run the wipers at a variable speed? And is this speed linear with the voltage?

A simple rotary potentiometer on the dash or steering column could accomplish this.

What about this? Has anybody done it? Is it possible?

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:55 am

David
I suppose you could slow them down by putting a variable pot in line,but wouldn't it be rather large to handle the current?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm

"...there are two wires going to the windshield wiper motor."

David,

I believe there are 5 wires going to the windshield wiper motor.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:40 pm

As my 72 Sprint is in pieces, I can confirm that it conforms to the S3/S4 wiring diagrams. Five wires to the motor - four to the switch plus a black wire to ground.

The S1/S2 wiring diagram shows four wires to the motor. One to the fuse box, two to the switch and one to ground.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:58 pm

Sorry guys, I was talking about the two wires carrying +12. It is true, the wiring diagram shows four wires from the wiper switch and five wires to the wiper connector.

I have subsequently gotten a reprint of a Lucas manual. It appears that the wiper motor accepts +12 on two connectors, one of which runs the motor at low speed and the other runs the motor at high speed.

So I would suspect that putting a high current rheostat in series with the high speed connector would give variable speed wipers.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:58 am

I have just added a bias switch which give one wipe ,it is connected to a switched live and then to the brown/green wire going to wiper motor.This saves the wipe switch
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:34 pm

David,

Whatever the total number of wires going to the wiper motor, depending whether it's single or two speed, there is normally a permanent live, which feeds in all positions except the 'park' position, and a switched live from the wiper switch.

Lowering the operating voltage will slow down and eventually stall the wipers, but it may also burn out the motor.

Hella make a very effective "variwipe " control which will answer all your prayers.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: