Supertrapp S/C muffler for S4

PostPost by: pamitchell » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:39 am

I'm considering installing a Supertrapp S/C muffler on my S4. mainly for
better ground clearance as it will fit into the muffler pocket better than my current Borla. It has packing material around the muffler plus the discs which I assume means it's neighbourhood and highway cruising friendly.

I've read the archives on the Supertrapp but wondered if anyone has installed this model? How many discs are used for a street application?
TIA
Phil Mitchell
69 S4 FHC
San Jose CA.
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:39 pm

Phil
I have a Supertrapp on my +2 but with a lot of power (noise) from a 190 HP BDR. I have the 4" unit with the enclosed outlet which is now an out of date system. The perforated cyclinder and packing material are shorter that the same lenght unit with the disc open at the rea.

I played around with the the number of discs quite a bit from 6 up to about 14 due to my power output. Yes, you can hear the difference but it is degrees of loudness. Because this is a shorter silencer than most Supertrapp's its suppression is limited. The longer the unit the better. Changing discs is fine tuning. I would think 8-10 discs will be about right for a street TC.

I had to add a long glass pack under the car to get additional sound suppression and now it is reasonable. I used the longest 2 1/4" one in Smith's catalog; they are cheap. On a 2-seater it likely will not fit.

Be sure you secure the bolt holding the disc carrier; safety wire might be in order. I'll save you the war story on that one!
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:50 pm

I have one on my stock S2 with about a dozen discs, I think a few are hidden from view. It's a bit dated but I'm not about to mess with something that is still working.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:29 pm

just to jump in
..i also have a supertrap muffler on my 72 elan sprint coupe...ill have to count discs tonight...i can tell you that it makes a perfect sound if a bit loud...i dont know if they are still available though..
david
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Yes, Supertrapps are still available. Newer versions have better sound deadening than old. But the key is the longer the better and that is where our Elans and +2 are handicapped. Pegasus on some others carry them.

Their Tech Service is in Cleveland for cars but it is a bit sketchy. They sell a lot more to bikers.
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:04 pm

just a follow up on the supertrap muffler...i counted 10 discs(baffles) on mine although there may be 1 or 2 more under the lip. i highly reccomend these as they fit perfectly
david
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: