Wiper control

PostPost by: 4cliff » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:08 pm

It's tedious in drizzle & in the dark to have to fumble for the dash switch, so I too had been wondering how to get a single shot or intermittent wipe. Ideally without fitting an extra switch.

The headlamp flasher switch, when operated, connects a flasher unit (akin to the indicator flasher) to earth. This connection is a brown wire from the switch which changes into a purple/black wire in the triple snap connector under the dash.

To get the wipers started needs a positive pulse on the slow speed wipe contact of the wiper motor, the self park will then finish the job. So we need a relay to operate when the flasher switch shorts to earth & send power to the motor. When I get a relay, I'll try it out & give the terminal numbers.

This method should work except when using main beam headlights, as the switch doesn't allow you to flash main beam headlights when they are already on!!!

Hope that helps. Your question has certainly helped me to find the answer to my own problem!!
John
!970 S4 SE
4cliff
New-tral

PostPost by: chrishewett » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:16 pm

The wipers on my 1971 +2s130 don't selfpark. Should they?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: schroeder » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Yes they should or at least my 71 does. I have no idea how though.

As an alternative approach to intermittant wipe feature I recommend rain-x. I used it for a couple of years on my 81 corvette as the wipers had a habit of hitting one another at the most inconvenient moments.

Light mist, light rain and even heavy rain shed very well from about 30mph. I haven't used it on the plus 2 because I try not to drive it in the rain.

Stuart
schroeder
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: