Radio for a +2

PostPost by: pmallinson » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Right I know this has been covered loads but I cannot find a Blaupunkt 552 for sale anywhere !! :(

SO what else will fit new or used and from what scrapped vehicle etc ??

Does anyone have one for sale ??

Please help me out somehow !! :?
:?
I would prefer to be able to fit something reasonably modern with CD if possible but if not then a decent VHF radio would do

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:09 pm

Peter
It's not a blaupunkt,it's a philips 552...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:08 pm

well that explains half the problem of finding one then DOH !!! :oops:

Anyway I still need one or advice on a new (ish) small cd one tht will fit ?

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:03 pm

I will look in my attic this evening. I think I have a Blaupunk (?) with the separate amp and short head unit. I'll get back to you.
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:31 pm

Peter
I made it to the attic and found the Blaupunk unit, but it was not what I thought it was. Although the amp is separate from the head unit, the head unit is just as deep as any modern unit or maybe even a bit deeper.

I picthed it in the bin!
Ken
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:12 pm

lotuselan2 wrote:Peter
I made it to the attic and found the Blaupunk unit, but it was not what I thought it was. Although the amp is separate from the head unit, the head unit is just as deep as any modern unit or maybe even a bit deeper.

I picthed it in the bin!
Ken

Ken

Thanks for trying anyway, the search goes on

Cheers & many Beers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: schroeder » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:15 am

Try Secret Audio. It is a dash mounted control box that is less than one inch deep (So it soesn't foul the heater behind) with a remote radio reciever to which you can fit a remote CD Changer. My reciever is fitted in the trunk/boot. Control looks neat and tidy. No reciever hanging a couple of inches out of the frnt of the dash. Not exactly period but given the timeless design of the +2 it looks good.

Will try to post a pic. later today.

Need to get around to putting the CD changer in the car as opposed to the box. Too many things to do.

Stuart
schroeder
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Stuart,
Thanks for the radio information. (secret audio) I have purchased two speakers that are 11x8x3 with the bose type base setup and the radio with remote.
I plan to hang the speakers on the back wall, behind the seats, they can be laid flat. The radio, control face plate and rear antenna connection will all be in the trunk. Far from the engine static. The radio will connect directly to the battery, I'll use some type of a inline fuse for the radio and someway to cut the power when the key is turned off.
The remote, stored in the glove box, will be pre-programed for all stations. I will leave my African rosewood dash and radio plate alone and just use the remote to operate the radio. It will look original with exception of the speakers. Total cost $338.00, cheaper than most radios.
I'll post pictures of the installation and give all a report on it's sound quality.
If this works, this will correct all of the problems with static etc.
I have the elan coupe, the +2 may install differently??

Sarto.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:12 pm

"The radio will connect directly to the battery, I'll use some type of a inline fuse for the radio and someway to cut the power when the key is turned off."

Sarto,

Modern radios come with two 12V power inputs. One is the main power which shuts off with the key. The other is connected to a power source that is never switched off, like, as you said, the battery. But it is usually connected in some other way, like the way the courtesy lights are connected. This powers your radio presets and clock. You can connect this radio power lead directly to the battery via a fuse, but the other power lead will have to go through the rocker panel to the front of the car and connect with the switched part of the fuse box. That way, your radio will turn off when the key is turned off. If you do that, you may as well run the other power feed to the front as well and connect it to the part of the fuse box that is always hot no matter what the key position is rather than connecting it directly to the battery.

No doubt your radio will have a fader control so if you're already running these two wires to the front, you may as well run speaker wires to the left door along with them. And then you will want to run speaker wires through the other rocker to power the right door speaker. If you install a power antenna, you'll need power for that from the part of the fuse box that is always on so that when you park and turn off the key, the antenna will automatically retract. That can be accomplished by tapping into the radio power wire that is always hot.

Are you starting to understand why my radio installation took 10 months? Well, in all fairness to myself, I performed plenty of other electrical upgrades while I was at it. Good luck.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:41 am

mac5777 wrote:Stuart,
Thanks for the radio information. (secret audio) I have purchased two speakers that are 11x8x3 with the bose type base setup and the radio with remote.
I plan to hang the speakers on the back wall, behind the seats, they can be laid flat. The radio, control face plate and rear antenna connection will all be in the trunk. Far from the engine static. The radio will connect directly to the battery, I'll use some type of a inline fuse for the radio and someway to cut the power when the key is turned off.
The remote, stored in the glove box, will be pre-programed for all stations. I will leave my African rosewood dash and radio plate alone and just use the remote to operate the radio. It will look original with exception of the speakers. Total cost $338.00, cheaper than most radios.
I'll post pictures of the installation and give all a report on it's sound quality.
If this works, this will correct all of the problems with static etc.
I have the elan coupe, the +2 may install differently??

Sarto.

Sarto

I'm a bit confused are you saying your leaving the original radio in place in the dash just for show and the real radio will be int he boot ?

Peter M
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:28 am

Hi Peter,
My car did not have a radio. The dash had a matching wood insert where the radio could be installed. Here is a picture of the stock dash after I refinished it. No radio. and after I had a new dash made, again no radio.
It will still appear that there is no radio in the car. Having the benefit of a modern radio with out the look of one in the dash.
2 years ago, I applied 3 coats of a sound proofing paint that reduced the sound level by 20 DPs. Then installed a new 3:55 rear end to keep the revs down at highway speed. Because it's a coupe it should work. I'll let every one know after It's done. The color is not coming out very well. Not sure why.

Sarto

You are right about the pictures being better when you open them up, so here are the other pictures I didn't post.
Sarto
Attachments
DSC00023.JPG and
DSC00125.JPG and
DSC00247.JPG and
DSC00132.JPG and
Last edited by mac5777 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:36 am

Ah Ha

Now all is clear :D

But your speedo and rev counters are on the wrong side of the dash !!! :shock: :wink: :wink: :D

Cheers and more Beers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: schroeder » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:36 am

As Sarto suggests there is no need to fit the controller into the original radio slot so you can leave it filled by a blank or even the old radio if you desire. I fitted mine into the dash blank as shown.

Stuart

PS the pic looks better if you open it up
Attachments
dash 001.jpg and
dash 002.jpg and
schroeder
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:57 am

Just waiting for a price back from one of the 5 or 6 secret radio suppliers I emailed !!

Caould not find one in the UK or Europe ? Will let you know if they agree to post overseas ?

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Peter,

I'm trying to find a uk source, and in the process came across this site:
(raised a laugh or two ! ).

http://www.afrotechmods.com/reallycheap ... oradio.htm

Regards,