Fog lamp question?

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:39 pm

I recently drove my little Elan from the UK to Switzerland for a rally and got caught up in some patches of heavy fog.

Being about half the size of most of the other vehicles around I got to wondering about fitting fog lamps to the rear of the car. My Elan used to have after market (Lucas?) rear fog lamps fitted which hung below the bumper and which kept on being knocked. When I had the bodywork resprayed I had the holes filled up and the whole rear of the car looks much tidier.

I remember from my MG days a long time ago that the MG Owners club in the UK used to sell a conversion kit which allowed you the modify the rear light clusters so that one of the rear lights (brake or rear light) had a double filament. This meant you had extra bright rear lights when you needed them (in fog) but you didn't need additional lamps fitted to the rear of the car. I have just spoken to the MGOC and they don't remember this (well it was 25 odd years ago when I saw it advertised)

Just wondered if anybody elas has tried something similar or know of a 'kit' to do this. It's got to be better than drilling extra holes and fitting additional lights?

Thanks
Carl

(The Elan made it to Switzerland... and back without any problems, so I am going again next year :-)
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Not sure about the other models but the S4 already has a combined tail / brake light i.e. dual filament bulb. So with "fog lights" on you would not have any brake lights :shock:

This may not be the case with other models of Elan.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:47 pm

Do triple filament bulbs exist??
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:53 pm

I have fitted a red version of an Elan front indicator light unit on a bracket next to the tailpipe on an Elan S4 with a Sprint-type silencer, and also on a late +2 with a similar silencer. It is fairly discreet, and is a quite well protected from damage.

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:40 am

Carl,
My wife's Golf has a rear fog light in the right hand rear light cluster and a reversing light in the same position in the left hand light cluster. So, the S4 Elan (I have an 68 S4 DHC) has a reversing lens on both sides. Leave one as a reversing lamp and fit a very bright red bulb to the other. Rewire from the boot forward to a separate switch and you have both reversing and rear fog lamps!!!
Regards Colin.
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:53 pm

You could just use a stick on eye level brake light, stuck on the inside of the rear window? Proberbly best not to stick it in the middle of the rear screen as this would confuse stupid people :)

I have rewired reversing lights on US vehicles as in the UK reversing lights are not required for the MOT. As you point out we have two reversing lights so rewiring the drivers side one and sticking a red lens over the top (or puting in a red bulb) would work. I understand the new LED replacement bulbs are very low heat high output.

Hope this helps

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of converting one of the reversing lamps to a fog lamp as that does not change the look of the car. A project for later this year I think... Red LED clusters sound good as well

Thanks again

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:18 am

Carl,

After some frightening experiences on French and German motorways in torrential rain, I realised a few things.

1. During heavy rain, there is a standing spray on the road surface which will completely hide an Elan, including the puny low-level rear lights.
2. Because of the poor visibility at your level you will be forced to slow down substantially.
3. HGVs who will be travelling with unabated speed 'above the weather' will bear down upon you unrelentingly.

To make the car a little more all-weather capable, I fitted a pair of Bosch
rear 21W foglamps on the rear parcel shelf, along with a central brake light.

A bit of clutter, but definitely more effective and tidier then fitting to the rear bumper.

Fully relayed wiper motor, Hella variwipe control, and 13" blades greatly improve the original poor wiper performance.

I will try to post photos.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:54 am

One of my early experiences of driving in France was being stuck behind an articulated lorry in heavy rain, asking my wife to see if it was safe to overtake. As soon as she said 'no I can't see anything' we (and the lorry in front) were overtaken by at least three french cars.. Oh I think it was up a hill as well.

And I only though they fitted that sort of 'radar' kit in jet fighters... I want one or perhaps I just need a Renault :-)

To be fair to the French, there roads are a lot clearer and safer than some of the ones in the uk (I live near the A14)!!

Carl
Last edited by pereirac on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:02 pm

Carl,

I live near the A14 too, and there's at least one or two big accidents each week. This time of year, it will increase.

Half the time they don't even see me in good weather. If you sit in behind anything sizeable, they'll likely not see you, so best to come at them from a longways back.... hitting horn and flashing lights as you go (assuming they work, of course) !!!

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:47 pm

Stuart,
My airhorn (even with a relay fitted) still sounds like a strangled rat at the best of time...I just call it period!!
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: