RADIO?

PostPost by: RobCapper » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:37 am

Excuse the repeat as I'm sure it's already been asked, but I couldn't find anything on the archives...

I want to replace the radio in my +2. Of course, I can't just pop to halfords because of the depth issue. Has anyone found a head unti that fits? All I want is a radio a a plug for an mp3 player - no tape or cd required....

I'm not keen to start cutting the heater box or put it in the glove box..

Anyone had any joy at all?

Thanks,

Rob
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:49 am

Hi,
A lot of people use an old phillips radio from a landrover discovery, or renault 5 van...
(I go mine for a fiver from ebay)
It has a tape player and digital tuner.
You can then use a tape insert which gives you a Jack plug input for an MP3 or get hold of an RF modulator from Maplin or similar, that plugs into the arial line and provides a jack plug input.
Alternatively you can also get original 1960-70s car radios converted to take an MP3 at a price (approx 120 quid)
Cheers
tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:41 pm

Thans. Do you know the model number for the philips radio?
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Or see this Radiomobile for sale on E-bay, item no. 110027419412, though it won't have an MP3 plug, being 1970's vintage!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:28 pm

Rob...have a look at this...

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtop ... 4e7678cc1d

All you ever wanted to know about Plus 2 radios. That Radiomobile Tim spotted above will fit a 2 seat Elan but not a Plus 2.
Cheers..Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Rob

I do not know where these rumours start :? , it is rubbish to say the Radiomobile radio does not fit (see my dash below). I admit it is a tight fit but it does fit. I too had no desire to chop a lump out of my heater box and really did not want to fork out ?220+ for the Turnolock radio. So I turned to trusty old Ebay and forked out about ?40 for the Radiomobile. I like the chrome on it and think it looks good in the dash.

There are companies on Ebay that supply these radios converted to FM and with IPod jacks. I do not know how much they are but I bet they are still cheaper than the Turnolock and sound a lot better.

Thumbing through 'Practical Classics' I see www.vintagewireless.co.uk also do FM convertions on these radios. Have a look on their site.

If you want a template or more photos on how to fit this radio let me know and I'll email them across. :)

I did post the templates on the old gallery if you can find it. :D

Jason
Attachments
Dash1.JPG and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:57 pm

Blimey,
Are turnlocks worth that much?
I have one in the spares cupboard...
Why are they worth so much?
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 pm

I bought one of those Radiomobiles a couple of weeks back for my S4, and tried to fit it to my 130/5, just to see. It sticks out about 1.5 inches in the Plus 2, and fits perfectly in the S4....maybe the later cars had a different heater box? The back of the radio was up against the metal of the heater box!! Sure you've got a heater, Jason? :roll: I wish it did fit as the Phillips turnolock with FM is pretty trickey to find.
The turnolock seems to get ?80 to ?110 on ebay for the MW / LW version. There was a brand new one at Stoneleigh last year, still in box, that had a price tag of ?220...don't know if that was for an FM version as I didn't know the difference then.
If you are going to get an old radio converted ask about the digital chip, as FM won't work in a few years either will it?
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:43 pm

I think I know an alternate radio but it may not be easier to find. When I lived in the UK in '79 my Alfasud (fun rust bucket) had an aftermarket Blaupunkt fitted. This unit had a very shallow head unit and a small separate amp that was mounted separately under the dash. Both units were DIN size but about 2" deep. I don't know the model number but they may still be out there and they played very well for that year radio.
Never know what might turn up on ebay.
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 pm

Rob
it's a 552 or 556

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:01 am

Hi All,
Whilst talking radios, can anyone describe the correct (original) manner in which a Radiomobile radio is mounted to the back of an S4 dash. It looks to me that there could be dedicated bracketry that mates to some indents in the radio casing just back from the facia plate, and that the back of the radio then rests on the top of the fresh air plenum. Any clues?
Colin 68 S4 DHC.
P.S. Try the following link to Ebay for radios.
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:17 am

I agree with cleggie....
552 or 556....I think you can have more than 2 speakers too!!!
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:24 pm

any ideas where I could hunt down one of these DC552's / 556's? I've tried Landrover but they've been less than helpful and ebay drew a blank...

anyone know what models/years of landrover they're from?

Random question, but as I've learnt with this forum, if you don't ask...!
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:06 pm

Rob
There will be a brannie going on ebay(under lotus) when i get back from Corfu around the 26th

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:04 pm

mine was from a renault 5 van
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: