Window motors

PostPost by: gav » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:34 pm

Ive been searching the threads but can't see any articles on alternative light weight window motors for Sprints.
Has anyone sourced one?
Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:56 pm

The standard items are reasonably lightweight as it is.

If you are getting thatserious about weight reduction, I'd have though that you need to get rid of the electric windows altogether and fit lexan windows with sliders or a friction arrangement similar to that used on S1 Elans.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:02 pm

MintSprint,

Do you know where to get lexan side windows for a S4? Plus, what is necessary to get rid of the steel window frame?

Thank you.

David
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:52 pm

I don't think it would be sensible to try and get rid of the window frames, since you'd need something to support the lexan anyway.

I don't know whereabouts in the world you are, but if you are in the UK, try Airedale Race Plastics near York. Website is http://www.raceplastics.com/

They've done work for me before, so I can personally recommend them - I've found the guy who runs it to be friendly, knowledgeable and competitively priced, and I can't fault the work he's done for me.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:39 am

I've decided if I own another S3 or S4 roadster I'd figure out way to make the chrome window frames "removable" for top down driving. Then somehow clip them back when the windows and top need to be up. They are the only thing that stops me from selling my S1 and upgrading.
Easter Basket Handles are their proper description unfortunately.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:38 am

I have removed the windows and frames from my S3, because a) I never liked the way the frames looked and b) to save weight. I don't recall the motors weighing that much, it was the glass and frame that made for the savings
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:31 pm

Gavin, you might want to check out the various hot rod magazines. I usually see several sources for window motors that are quite small. The whole mechanism will need to be changed out but I think they've got to be more reliable, work faster and smoother than the cable arrangement we have now. It's on my short list of 'to-do's' for my windows.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: