fuse 15A or 25A ??

PostPost by: thor » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:18 am

Probably the simplest question of the day, someone shouted to me on the way to work:"you've got NO brake lights!" after nearly running into the back of me... :shock:

The fuse on the Left side in the dashboard fuse box is gone, I take it this is for the rear lights/brake lights? It's a 15A, and the only spare one I have is 25A... Bad idea to put that one in?
:?:
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:52 am

I doubt it will cause any harm but it is not a good idea to put in a fuse of a higher rating as it can cause damage (even a fire) but fuses dont really wear out, there must be a reason why it failed.
If it didn't blow as soon as you fitted it then it could have an intermitten short which can be very hard to find, you must find exactly which circuits the fuse controls and trace from there.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:58 am

OK, so, can anyone tell me what circuit this fuse is for, the first one on the left in the dashboard fuse box of my +2S130/5..

The only thing I have in my car this morning is the small manual, in where I couldn't even find the fuse box listed..(very strange)

?
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:52 am

Thor,

I can't remember all of the systems that work from that fuse (don't have the wiring diag. in front of me) but I do remember the left hand fuse was on the circuit for glovebox light, clock, interior lights and probably map light amongst other things.

No doubt someone with a manual to hand will give the definitive answer...
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:14 pm

AH, yes the glory of electrics in the Lotus. Changed the fuse, still no brake lights, BUT: courtesy light, glove box light (which didn't want to go off due to bending switch), ticking clock and boot light! amazing.. AND, the horn now also works.. BUT it works now and again on it's own, works when I turn left sharply, etc... Reckon I have to look at the contact in the horn push.. and a strange worrying ticking click-clicking sound somewhere behind the speedo.. :?

For now I replaced the new fuse with the blown one as I have to get back home from the office without beeping at everyone... :?
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Go on, I always like an easy one.

See below for a scan of the manual for the +2 s;
Attachments
fuses.jpg and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:38 pm

Hello Thor,

though in a baby Elan, even with working electrics, looking through my
wiring loom I found a lot of near desaster wiring. Mostly additions to the original - just parallel devices. These sometimes with deep cuts in the insulation for example under the heater box, in the bulkhead when using the same hole as the choke (which would have given a nice mass contact to the main brown plus unswitched...) and so on. I started to check all the wiring, even the little bulb holders in the instruments sometimes have very long insulation removals and like support of little heat shrinkable sleeves.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: thor » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:58 pm

So, brake lights and reverse lights don't seem to be working... All the fuses in the dashboard are OK. As ALL the bulbs look OK, has anyone got a quick answer to this strangeness...? I'm good at mechanicals but Crap at electrics as you all can see.

Would prefer not to get someone up my Elan's rear in the near future. :(

The wiring diagram earlier on this post is greek to me. :)
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: thor » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:01 pm

Jason, EXCUSE STUPID QUESTION, but on your wiring diagram it looks like three groups of four fuses, where are the other two fuse boxes (not counting the dashboard one..) :?:
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:07 pm

Brake and reverse lights not working?
I wonder what the common point is?
Ah yes it's a lotus Must be the earth

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi Thor

It's not a stupid question :) The answer is I have no idea? I took it from the workshop manual which also shows a diagram of the car with 3 fuse boxes for the +2 S, it also shows the earthing points and most of the electrical components. It is titled ' Elan +2'S' Electrical Components and Connections'.

I have an early +2 not the 'S' so my fuse boxes are under the bonnet.

Anybody with the +2 S out there that knows the answer?

Sorry I can not be of more help.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 pm

Hi all.

Aren't the brakes activated by a switch on the brake pedal - could the wire have come off?

Also, is it possible that the fuse was blown when a rear light bulb blew, and that now neither of the bulbs are working. Sounds strange, but this happened to my headlights on a ford once.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:21 am

hmmm strange... So: first, are there (there must surely be?) more than the fuse box on my dashboard with 4 fuses. Where?

Also: The switch for the brake lights appears to be in the form of a white plastic cup fixed on the front of the brake cylinder in the engine compartment, with one connection on each side.

First: When I moved one of the connectors a bit to check for tightness, the plastic cup came off quite easily, is it suppose to?

Second: To check whether there is actually something wrong with the switch itself, I take it the easiest solution is to connect these to wires and check if the rear brake lights come on?

Help....
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:53 am

Thor,
I dont know plus 2's too well but just make sure you have the correct switch, it has some how got to be operated by the brake pedal or linkage, some cars have a fluid level indicator on the master cylinder operating on a float system.
By joining the brake light switch wires together the lights should come on, if not check you have 12v to one side (think you will need the ign on) if you have power to one side and they still dont work after joining together then the prob would be in the wires to the lights.
Note. earlier small Elans had hydralic brake switches but I dont think this applies to your car.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RonR » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 am

Thor,

Are you sure you have found the brake light switch? The S130 has a "Fluid Low" indicator, the switch for it is usually built into the Master cylinder lid. The stop lamp switch should be mounted at the front of the pedal box.

Lotus greatly simplified the fusing arrangements when they brought out the +2S/130 (Probably because of problems with the 3 fuse box arrangement in the Engine bay), so there is only 1 fuse box on the S130.

There's a separate wiring diagram for the +2S/130 non-federal in the Workshop Manual which has fuse No. 3 connecting the Brake and Reversing lights, Fog lamps and Battery condition indicator.

If none of these work, then your problem is either Fuse 3 or a bad connection to it behind the dash. (It's unlikely that you would have the same problem at the back and front of the car simultaneously).

If the Fog lamps work, then the most likely explanations are:
A bad earth connection somewhere at the back of the car.
A bad connection on a Lucar connector on the feed to the stop and reversing lamps.

Let us know when you find it!

Good luck,

Ron.
Ron '68 +2, '92 M100
RonR
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: