Elan +2 Battery Cut Out

PostPost by: Nick Godfrey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi all,

I would like to fit a battery cut out (removable red key type) to my +2. Currently, I have one fitted to the battery in the boot which is a bit of a pain as you have to open the boot each time to get to it.

Has anyone fitted this type of cut out switch anywhere else neatly in the car ?
I have seen on some of the race cars that they drill a hole in the front wing. This must be on the POSITIVE terminal ?
I would like to fit mine to the NEGATIVE termonal as recommended and hence towards the back of the car is better.

Any help much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Nick.
Nick Godfrey
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi! I fitted one on a customers' +2,in positive battery cable,just ahead of seat(make sure it clears seat when fully foward).this was on a small bracket I made,bolted to the floor,with ,i think ,the switch hidden behind sill cover/carpet.easy to reach,not much to see when key removed either.
Don't think it really matters which cable(pos or neg) that you cut,most rally/race cars i've worked on cut the pos.
Martin
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian,best film ever.
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:09 pm

Not sure how easy it would be on a +2 with their different sill structure but on a 2 seat Elan with the battery cable coming down the sill it's relatively easy to punch a hole through the carpet covered fibreboard trim and rivet a bracket to the back so that the cutoff switch just pokes through into the car.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:11 am

Or you could do like someone I know and remove the trim panel behind the door and fit it there where you have some cable to play with.....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:56 am

Nick,

I fitted one to my +2.

It is on the main +ve cable as it passes through the cabin on it's way to the engine bay. The switch is fitted to the panel behind the door and is located below the seat belt exit slot. The fitting requires one hole to be drilled in the panel. When the key is removed there is hardly anything to see.
When the key is fitted it faces down the way and points towards the little arm rest thingy (technical term) in the panel. It's dead easy to get to.
This switch kills all power to the car (except a little fused power take off socket in the boot which is wired straight to the battery. I use it to plug in a trickle charger in the Winter)

To fit one to the -ve (earth, I presume) would involve a fair bit of cable if the switch was to be located in the cabin. Is it worth the bother and maybe the extra resistance?

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi Nick

I have one of these, it is mounted next to the starter solenoid so I just reach up under the dash and pull it out, I find it it quite handy and hidden from view.

Jason

PS

Don't tell anyone where mine is, it's a secret :lol: :lol:
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:32 pm

That seems to be the best place to put the cut off to me Jason, can u post up a picture of it bonnet side so I can see how high to mount mine ?

Many Thanks

Matt
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:45 pm

Matt

Here's a pic, it is the object in the top left of the picture with two big fat black leads coming off of it and a small blue terminal.

Hope this helps

Jason
Attachments
Cutoff.JPG and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi Jason,
What is the little blue connector - doesn't seem to be connected to anything? Also how does it operate and where did you purchase the switch? Not easy to fit upside down under the dash is it.
Regards David.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Hi Jason,
What is the little blue connector - doesn't seem to be connected to anything? Also how does it operate and where did you purchase the switch? Not easy to fit upside down under the dash is it.
Regards David.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 pm

Just guessing that the Blue connector is an emergency bypass.

For what it's worth, I have a Cut Out switch fitted to the earth connection in the boot of my Plus 2. I've paralleled the switch with a 10A blade fuse, this is enough to keep the ancilliaries alive, but will blow if you try to start the car without the cut out switch fitted. The fuse location isn't very obvious. Crude, but effective security measure.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:51 pm

jason
thats exactly what I have!!!!
works a treat is easy to use and is very discrete indeed.......
mine had a bypass fuse fitted too so that the radio I have didnt loose its memory...however if you tried starting the car it blew the fuse and the radio forgot everything so i bypassed it and its now surplus!!!!
cheers
g
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:22 am

Hi There

I had one in my old plus 2 for years. Mounted it under the dash to the left of the eyeball (RHD). Was an easy reach and I never had to worry about coming back to a flat battery. With the key out you would never know it was there. I prefer the units with the brass pin on the key, but I have never had any problems with the plastic ones. Wherever you mount it you want to be able to reach it very easily or it will pee you off after a short while!

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:28 am

Hi

Yes the blue connector was to power the alarm, as you rightly say without this connection there would be no power to the alarm unit.

It is the brass tab key type, most motorsport places sell them and it seems to work well.

This one was fitted by the PO but I would recommend Minispares they sell them for about ?20. I use them for quite a few parts and have found them very good.

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=35269

This is the one I have which is the external switch (note the collar on the key) or you can use the internal switch which is a little cheaper.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Hi all

If you fancy a bargin you can get them new on ebay :)

This item;

Item number: 4645890104

is ?15 +?3 P+P new.

I do not know the seller, so you should read the feedback. There are others if you put in the search "battery cut off".

You gotta love the bay :lol:

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: