+2s Map Reading Light & Engine Lights

PostPost by: johns » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:16 pm

I have a 1970 +2S with the chrome map reading light on the passenger side (this is the version with the switch built in so it comes on when you pull it towards you.

The previous owner disconnected it and also seems to have lost the insides., Could someone please tell me what type of bulb fits into it and also I assume there is a spring to hold the bulb in place and make the electrical connection. What are its dimensions? ANy other info on this much appreciated.

Also where is the switch for the engine compartment lights? I assumed there would be a witch like the one on the boot but cannot find it.

Thanks
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:29 pm

The switch on my 1969 Plus 2 is mounted on the front edge of the bonnet - assuming that yours is the same you should be able to see it from the inside when you raise the bonnet.
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:25 am

Simon

These reading lights were also used on XJ Jags as rear seat reading lights. Used in my series 3 Sovereign model at least and probably others.

The switch for the bonnet light is on the left hand side of the leading edge lip of the bonnet of my +2S 130/5.

regards
Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:37 am

Simon,

I have a +2S130/4 in the UK.

Have a look on SVCs site they may have a new map light or tell you where to get one.
<a href='http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/' target='_blank'>http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/</a>.

Engine light switch on mine is on the front nearside lip of the bonnet (it's a small sprung plastic pin). Just follow the wiring from the lamp holder!

Hamish
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:33 pm

I have one of these lights on my 130s.
When I bought the car it too had no internal parts, so I made my own.
I used a fairly standard 12 v lamp (I think it is a rear brake lamp bulb)
The circuit is made by a central screw contacting the central contact on the bulb and the outer casing of the lamp contacting the outside of the bulb. I found that the hard bit was making contact between the casing and the bulb, and solved it by wrapping the out side of the bayonet with aluminium foil that then formed a contact with the lap housing. This was a temporary solution, but has survived 2 years. The bulb was held in position by a nylon washer that I found in my bitser box that was a tight fit inside the housing and when push in on top of the bulb held it in place. eventually I discovered the lamp lens in the glove compartment so I just screwed that in place.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:09 pm

I have one of these lights on my 130s.
When I bought the car it too had no internal parts, so I made my own.
I used a fairly standard 12 v lamp (I think it is a rear brake lamp bulb)
The circuit is made by a central screw contacting the central contact on the bulb and the outer casing of the lamp contacting the outside of the bulb. I found that the hard bit was making contact between the casing and the bulb, and solved it by wrapping the out side of the bayonet with aluminium foil that then formed a contact with the lap housing. This was a temporary solution, but has survived 2 years. The bulb was held in position by a nylon washer that I found in my bitser box that was a tight fit inside the housing and when push in on top of the bulb held it in place. eventually I discovered the lamp lens in the glove compartment so I just screwed that in place.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:07 am

<a href='https://www.holden.co.uk/product_display.asp?product_code=010.054' target='_blank'>https://www.holden.co.uk/product_display.as...ct_code=010.054</a>

This is a new one, if you need it all.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DOC » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:21 am

I have a genuine NOS +2 reading lamp in perfect condition you can have. I would like to point out that the lamp pictured in the previous post is very similar to the original, but it does not have the correct bezel.

I have many NOS +2 parts. Email me for a complete list.

Thanks,

DOC
DOC
New-tral

Total Online: