Move Over Flashing HeadLights

PostPost by: type26owner » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:19 pm

Have installed a modern day 12V 40A relay for the highbeam flashing headlight circuit. The problem is the solenoid part of the relay circuit only draws like .4watts so a typical bi-metal and electronic flasher does not work. There's not enough juice flowing so the lights come on okay but don't flash on and off. What do I do now? DBE still supplies the 20A Lucas metal cannister type relays that does draw enough current to work a flasher so that's my fallback solution. Is there another type of modern day flasher that operates on a tiny flow of electrons? Help!
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:59 pm

Keith,

I tried to find one and failed. Nobody seemed to be able to help in the UK with a relay that pulled enough current or a flasher that would work at such low current.
I did solve the problem in an odd way. I used the standard metal can relay & bought a motor cycle flasher for very low wattage indictors and then I paralled a small bulb with the relay to increae the current through the flasher. I only did this to get it to work as an experiment. It does work with quite a nice beat! I then figured out the resistance I needed and bought some ceramic bodied resitors. I never did get around to changing the little bulb and holder for the proper resistor. It is tucked away underneath. Bit of bodge but with a resister fitted properly who knows.

I would go for the correct item if it is not silly money. However dont you think the business about getting the lamps up makes it all a bit futile!

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks Mike!
I fine glowing kludge which I will happily apply.

Planned on only using them by switching off the light switch rather than actuating the vacuum pods. Actually I probably will never use them, I'm just getting around to finishing the last odds and sods from doing the frame off restoration about ten years ago. :oops:
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Keith
Have you tried a turn indicator flasher relay,the one on my VW golf has electronic circuitry to control the rate and works a treat on the plus2 indicators no matter what load......
John:wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:45 pm

Keith,
On my Sprint and S2 I have used a Tridon EP32 12v Electronic flasher unit (made in USA) and it works just fine, it is for the VW range of cars but it will only work on a negitive ground system.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi John,
Yep, but those have enough current drawn from the 5watt bulbs. At only 0.4 of a watt these new relays are too efficient for this old technology derived circuit to function. The bi-metal flashers are have not changed through all these years though. Didn't expect this one but I'm not giving up! I waited ten years to get these damn things working and I'm NOT going down in flames now. :lol: :twisted:
Last edited by type26owner on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi Brian,
Tried the Tridon EL12 yesterday and it failed. Thanks! I'll exchange it today for the this other type and give it a whirl. :D
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 am

My notes show I used a tridon EL12 flasher and and 10 ohm 10 Watt ceramic resistor. I can email you the scan image if you want.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: