Powerlite starter motors

PostPost by: gus » Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:52 pm

ill_will wrote:The RAC814 arrived, so an update.

On the Powerlite website this unit is designated as for the Elan whilst cross checking the previous one it did not specifically mention the Elan but iirc mentioned various Austin/BL cars. I will leave it at that.

I

If a starter is not listed for the t/c it is not for the t/c. From Lucas with the inertial starter is the same between the Mini and the t/c, but with any modern starter this is not the case. The two engines have a different distance to the ring gear and they are not compatible back or forth
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:18 pm

+1, critical point. A difference in spacing between the flywheel and the engine block may require a different adapter/spacer on the starter. Had to make a new adapter/spacer, thicker, when using the same pre engaged starter from the tc to the Zetec on my Plus2, as the Zetec flywheel is much closer to the block compared to the tc.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:19 pm

+1, critical point. A difference in spacing between the flywheel and the engine block may require a different adapter/spacer on the starter. Had to make a new adapter/spacer, thicker, when using the same pre engaged starter from the tc to the Zetec on my Plus2, as the Zetec flywheel is much closer to the block compared to the tc.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ill_will » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:18 pm

Hi Gus,

I was indirectly trying to say that the original supplier (who was not Powerlite) sold me the first unit as "suitable for the Elan", which it wasn't. At the time I did not actually know it was a Powerlite unit as the branding had been removed, so it took some detective work to figure it out once I realised it didn't fit properly.

Cheers,

Will
ill_will
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:28 pm

I recently obtained 2no. Powerlite starters for my Elans, I found out that there are listings for a Lotus Twincam (Cortina) and other listings for a Lotus Elan Twincam, although virtually identical the Cortina one will not fit the Elan because of the diagonal shape of the Elan chassis at the nearest point to the starter. The fully adjustable mounting holes for the starter have to be rotated to the point where it's impossible to get the bolt into the starter, due to fouling the bolt head against the body of the starter.
The Elan version has a relived area of casting on the body of the starter and a "captive" bolt supplied ready installed, making installation a doddle.
I must add that service at Powerlite is very knowledgeable and first rate. They are eager to assist with providing the correct unit and the units work extremely quietly and effectively.
A top notch item!
Cheers,
Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:55 pm

I tried a powerlite on my Sprint.
It would not fit and i ended up sending it back a lot of rubbish. I ended up out of pocket with me paying to sent it back.

Fitted a new Bendix to old Starter and new Oillite Bush. Now as good as new perfect.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:31 pm

Alan, you probably did exactly what I was refering to in my previous post - you acquired a "Twincam Starter" for a Cortina, which doesn't fit the Elan!
You should have scrolled further down the Powerlite list, untill you reached the Twincam Elan product advertised!

Oh well, never mind, you're never too old to "live and learn"!

Cheers,
Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi Phil,
you could be right there it was several years ago. But i think when i ordered there was a place to say what Car it was for so no excuss to supply wrong one :roll:
For sure it only cost me Peanuts to buy a new Bendix and Oillite Bush. Not bad for 25 years use and now as good as new.
To be honest i think most times the problem is just bad Earths.
Cheers
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: