Headlight dip switch

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi Malcolm and Meg.
I have no relays or pod switches in the lamp circuit at all, or at least I have not found any in the ten years I have had this car. There is not much left that I have not had out and on the bench by now. There seems to be many variations.
Cheers
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:44 am

The Headlight relays (if present) are on the inside of the wheel arch just under where the bonnet swivels on the left side.

They are wired in a strange manner, but the circuit can easily be changed so that the only the relay coil current goes through the column dipswitch instead of the full current for the illuminated headlamp bulb. No extra relays are required just some re-routed wiring.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:14 am

I "think" the single headlamp relay behind the dash on the early cars , is really just to protect the pod microswitch/provide auto switch off for the lights when the pods are down ... a lot of owners remove the microswitch as it`s another thing to cause the headlights to fail .... so early cars like Eric`s then wouldn`t need the relay either ....

Having said that , the Workshop Manual`s Wiring Diagrams for the S3 & S4 are a much better proposition ... the Relays are protecting not just the microswitches but all the wiring back to the dip switch/dash switch ... & it`s fairly easy to change ... even a muppet like me has done it ;-) !

Paul .
Sprint Drophead , Esprit V8 , 1978 Caterham Big Valve .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: