HELP!!!!

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:12 am

I've just realised that I wrote solenoid in my post above - I meant coil... oops - I've edited it to make more sense.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:21 am

Andrew --that little buggar should fire right up --any twin cam I owned could not wait to fire up on the second turn of the crank ------you have spark -fuel and air -but not at the right time --if you haven't diidled the carbs too much I suggest your beloved computerized distributor is the problem ---so either move the distributer a bit --A BIT -- or lose the 21st century bling and go back to points and condenser ---KARNAC has spoken ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:09 am

Andy,

It's a bit odd that it is sparking to the plug body and not the electrode. The gap to the threaded part is larger so that would imply a good spark!

Are all the plugs the same? Are the plugs clean as well as dry or are they oiled/sooted up?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zeteclotus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:22 pm

I had the same problem with my 130 on sunday just would not start normally its a good starter, but i had left it for 2 months.

my normal trick is petrol in the top of the carb and away she goes.

i got it started by fast charging the battery over night and it spun much faster and a few squirts of eazy start and finally splutered in to life.

today it starts no problem.

I think my engine does not like to stand in this weather.

you need a very good battery in the cold weather we are having.

Good luck
zeteclotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Excellent, glad I am not the only one to be suffering from the twincam starting curse at the moment.

Ok, today I tried a brand new NGK plus in one of the leads and eas getting a thin reedy spark jumping across the gap as it should do. Still looks rather like a cigarette lighter and doesn't make any noise. So I am thinking too weak a spark? Anyone care to express an opinion?

My plan at the moment is to change out the new old stock lucas gold sports coil for the inderterminate one I have in the boot that I took off and see if that improves the spark.

Am also hoping that having the plug out will give the cylinders time to breath and for any flooded fuel to evaporate off.

Cheers

Andrew
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: