Alternators

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:33 pm

My reasons for changing to an alternator can be summed up thusly:

1. More juice
2. Less complexity

By "less complexity" I mean that the antediluvian electromechanical control box is gone. When things weren't working right, I never knew whether to blame to control box or the generator or something else. At least now I've narrowed the choices. The only problem I've had with the alternator resulted from bad crimps on the ground wire that came with the kit, not from the alternator itself.

The electrical system just works better with the alternator than it ever did with the generator. I'm now revising the entire system to help all that juice get where it needs to go. Heck, I may even have a heater fan motor that works when I'm done.

For a good write-up on British car alternator conversions, take a look at this page on the Vintage Triumph Register site. A layman's description of how an alternator works can be found here. There is other good information on this site that is applicable to our cars.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:25 pm

I have the fan belt to my dynamo not very tight for long life of the water pump. Does the fan belt need to be tighter for a (higher output) alternator?Gordon
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Gordon,

In my case I never made it tighter and it's been fine.

I suspect that once an alternator is fitted then the water pump bearing will last longer as there is no longer the risk of over-tightening the belt in a futile attempt to get the generator to work reasonably well.

I've done the pump bearing once in the last 200,000 miles, ( 320k km.),
and then largely as a precaution.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:37 pm

To Freddy of Ulm,
The book says it should be tighter, more low speed amps available, hence more torque required. The common setting of the time was 1/2" total play in the belt on the top run (shortest). I run mine at 1" so as not to overload the waterpump bearing. I know the bearing is the same as the Ford original but the Lotus Timing case set up is totally differant to the small original pump casting in the way of rigidiity.

Under cold, wet conditions with charging rate at its highest (draining the battery on the starter motor, headlights full on, heater on full, heated rear screen on) my fan belt has been known to squeel on blipping the throttle. This soon disappears when the battery has received a little charge. Don't let it get too slack though or damage to the belt will occur and possible loss of charging.

Gordon of Preston
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: