Blue/Black 028/0.30 wiring cable

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:20 pm

If it is a good idea, because of the apparent benefits, to upgrade to thinwall cable, is it also a good thing to ditch the old tech bullet connectors and use something better suited to the thinner cable (having noted Andy's comment regarding crimp grip on the insulation)? The bullets are very old tech, they were even on a pre-war Morris that I once owned, so to me at least, it doesn't make sense to mix technologies that are 60-70 years apart.
If someone could recommend connectors to replace the bullets and receptacles, especially the double/triple versions, I would be more confident in building my own 21st Century harness.
I have used Superseals before, and using the correct crimp tool they are excellent, but I haven't seen a Superseal that does the function (i.e. splitting feeds) of a double/triple bullet receptacle.
Any comments/recomendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:02 pm

A very good point.

Where I have ever wanted to feed multiple loads, I have used the Junior Power Timer connector and bridged the pins on one side. Carefully done, the bridge wires are concealed in the boot cover so that externally it looks like one wire in, three (or two, or four..) out. But it is fiddly.

I believe there is a TE product that does this in a better way - google 'TE lighting splitter'
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:33 pm

Hal,

Thanks for the link very interesting and useful.

I have bought many crimping tools over the years usually around £50 and have always been disappointed, eventually I saw sense and bought a Pressmaster mobile crimp tool, made in Sweden, well over £100 and the dies are about another £50. I am pleased with the result, though I did find the choice of die a bit of a challenge.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:50 pm

A Pressmaster Richard?? Now you are just showing off :D :D

I am jealous! Always wanted one, but just too miserly :D

Tell me - are the crimps really secure? Will a crimp withstand a disconnection by being pulled by the cable.
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: