PLus 2 indicators

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi both and thank you for replies. Mine is August '73 so one of the last few made and I don't think Lotus knew what they they were putting in. It does have the 'in dash' 4 fuses in the centre.
I have had both sides of the car out including the under panel so I can look at the backside of the dash panel so one can see straight through. There is nothing in a clip by the fog switch where it is supposed to be according to the manual. Also nothing under the rev counter. The clicking of the flasher is definitely coming from the steering column shroud and can 'feel' the click through the shroud. Trouble is the shroud is one piece. I just can't get the one piece horn push off the wheel to get at the nut holding the steering wheel on without applying so much force that it breaks the 50 year old horn push! It should just be a straight pull off with the fingers according to the manual. I think there must have been a lot of changes since the last manual was written.
Thanks for any further suggestions.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:39 pm

Seems a bit strange for the flasher unit to be behind the column trim and not where it should be..
Anyway..My horn push does just simply come out with a finger nail in the groove.on the side of it. I assume it is the standard original +2 steering wheel you have and not an aftermarket steering wheel that is making the horn push removal difficult?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:50 pm

Standard steering wheel. I need sister scissor fingers for nails then.
Right - with a mirror torch and being a contortionist I managed to find not one but two relays together. Both very inaccessible and hidden on the back of the dashboard immediately above the steering column - in fact touching it whihc explains why I could feel the clicks in the column shroud.
Hopefully something is attached looking like a flasher relay with just two pins. Will the other relay be for the hazards?
Thanks.
Attachments
Lotus Relay Case.jpg and
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:31 pm

If your car is a late one you probably have a steering wheel with the flatter boss. In this case you need to remove the plastic centre section to get at the nut.

https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18679&start=7
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:16 pm

I’ve got a 73 +2S130 and it’s the 10th from the end that came to the United States And it has the dash /fuses like you describe and the center flat boss that you can takeoff with your fingernails and get to the nut, and then it has a two-part shroud that goes over the steering column behind the steering wheel and you take two screws out and the shroud comes apart, Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:05 am

On my 73 Plus 2 the flasher and hazard units are below the choke and tacho and next to the steering column ( RH drive). The relays are actually glued to the back of the dash.

cheers
Rohan

Plus 2 flash & hazard relays.jpg and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:18 am

Thanks again everyone.
I will have a closer look at the horn push but it looks like a one piece rather than two pieces - light wasn't good.

Rohan - you are a star ! Mine are like yours but a bit higher and further over. This results in my relays being 'jammed' between the ignition/steering lock back, the steering column and the bottom edge of the tacho - no wonder they have to be small.

FINAL Question. Is the one with two green wires the indicator, and the relay with the yellow purple and green wires the hazard flasher.
Thank you all.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: