Modifying the wiring on a Sprint to use Tach with Spiyda

PostPost by: tvacc » Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:00 am

Hi all,
A few questions about how to rewire the tach on my 72 Sprint to use the spiyda.com/tachometer electronics conversion.
I believe I know how this all goes but I wanted to check with you all.

I had to go for the conversion as we now have electronic ignition and the tach does not work with it.
I believe in the stock configuration, there is a wire that goes from the ignition "hot" to the tach, then through the tack and back out to the coil.

So what I think I have to do is put those two wires together so they no longer go through the tach. That gives me power to the coil to start and run the car.

Then run another wire from the tach to the coil to pick up the signal for the tach to operate. I think I run that wire to the negative on the coil, correct?

If I have this wrong, let me know. I dont want to blow the spyida electronics.

Thank again guys and girls.

Tony V
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:49 pm

That is inline with my memory of fitting it.

The real fun is calibrating it. I didn't find the calibrate of the car very accurate and so had to do it on the car. it is tricky adjusting the screw on rear of tacho with it wired in.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:11 pm

I could barely get the tach out . I imagine it will be tough getting the brackets on the threaded parts and then putting on the ground and the nuts. I don't know how you would get to the adjustment screw with the tach in place.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:41 pm

I seem to remember that the correct wiring diagram was on the Spiyda website, try there
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:01 pm

tvacc wrote:I don't know how you would get to the adjustment screw with the tach in place.

I didn't, I removed it from it's home but left it wired up. Access to the adjustment screw was still very tricky.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:56 am

tvacc wrote:I believe in the stock configuration, there is a wire that goes from the ignition "hot" to the tach, then through the tack and back out to the coil.

So what I think I have to do is put those two wires together so they no longer go through the tach. That gives me power to the coil to start and run the car.

Then run another wire from the tach to the coil to pick up the signal for the tach to operate. I think I run that wire to the negative on the coil, correct?

That is correct, see page 4 of the Spiyda instruction sheet that I have e-mailed you.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: