Oil temperature gauge

PostPost by: pete.chiswell » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:19 am

Hi guys I would like to fit an oil temperature gauge, Has anyone fitted one and where did you place the sensor. I have a smiths 2" with a bulb sensor which I will put in the ambient air temperature hole as mine is missing and I cant find one anywhere
pete.chiswell
New-tral

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:25 am

I have one of the capillary tube type fitted to my S4. I had a brass spigot brazed into the sump and the sensor screws into that. It measures the temperature of the mid level oil in the sump but I'm not sure that's the right place for it as it's very rare it reads above 50C on a run (a bit higher in town). I've recently managed to break the capillary tube so it doesn't read anything at the moment. Before I fix / replace it this is probably an opportune time to ask where the sensor ought to go.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:47 am

I have always assumed that the correct place to measure the oil temperature is where it is fed into the engine so somewhere around the oil pump would be best. That is probably a difficult area to fit a sensor though on the Ford block. So maybe somewhere in the sump, adjacent to the pump pickup would work. What do the racers do?

Back in the day I fitted an oil temperature gauge to a BMC A series engine and that was plumbed into the pipe that ran from pump to filter.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:29 pm

I originally brazed a threaded bush onto the sump, see pic.

I previously had a capillary sensor, but replaced it with an electric one, much simpler to disconnect for engine outs.

I recently fitted a dry sump, (with the tank in the nose) The sensor is now fitted to the tank.

A sensor in the block would show block temp. more than actual oil temp.

I have arranged my gauges as pic to suit my preference.

A good oil pressure light (top left ) is IMHO the most important item here.

I have fitted a large low-fuel light in place of the ( never used ) choke knob.

I have fitted a main isolator switch in place of the ash-tray.

:)
Attachments
DSCF2272.jpg and
Dash.JPG and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:42 pm

If decide you want a ambient temp gauge after all...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403441565158?hash=item5deefdbde6:g:tKUAAOSwm75h9sfo
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:49 pm

When I installed an electric oil temp gauge on my Esprit V8 I added a sandwich plate to the oil filter and screwed the sensor in to a threaded port in the sandwich plate. IIRC there were a couple of ports in the sandwich plate. Not sure if there is room in the Elan or Plus 2 though. The reading range worked very well. I think the sandwich plate was supplied by the gauge manufacturer, and the ports were metric threads.

IIRC the Esprit V8 had a stock oil temp sender attached to the oil drain plug, but this was only used for an ECU PID rather than a gauge reading (at least in my later V8). This location was a PITA though as it was very easily damaged during an oil change, so not recommended.

Was interesting how long it took for the oil to get up to operating temperature, maybe 15 to 20 minutes beyond cool and being warmed. But then again the Esprit had two oil coolers that were not thermostatically controlled in stock form; I actually added this feature to speed up warmup.

Just some ideas.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:29 pm

Hi Foxie,
I thought there was already a low level Fuel light in the speedo on a +2. Feed from the Float Sender in the Fuel Tank like on a Triumph Herald
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:32 pm

alan.barker wrote:Hi Foxie,
I thought there was already a low level Fuel light in the speedo on a +2. Feed from the Float Sender in the Fuel Tank like on a Triumph Herald
Alan

Hi Alan,

You're quite right, but it's not very noticeable in sunlight. I've been caught out a few times ! :oops:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:02 am

pete.chiswell wrote:Hi guys I would like to fit an oil temperature gauge, Has anyone fitted one and where did you place the sensor. I have a smiths 2" with a bulb sensor which I will put in the ambient air temperature hole as mine is missing and I cant find one anywhere

I have an Elan I race(d) with an oil temp gauge fitted. The engine builder brazed a bush on the dipstick side of the sump close to the bottom about halfway along, and the bulb fits into the bush. I have seen other competition Elans with pickups in a similar place. It does look extremely vulnerable, but so far it has survived.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:09 am

Andy8421 wrote:
pete.chiswell wrote:Hi guys I would like to fit an oil temperature gauge, Has anyone fitted one and where did you place the sensor. I have a smiths 2" with a bulb sensor which I will put in the ambient air temperature hole as mine is missing and I cant find one anywhere

I have an Elan I race(d) with an oil temp gauge fitted. The engine builder brazed a bush on the dipstick side of the sump close to the bottom about halfway along, and the bulb fits into the bush. I have seen other competition Elans with pickups in a similar place. It does look extremely vulnerable, but so far it has survived.

That's pretty much exactly where mine is, with a bush brazed into the sump in the same way. The bulb and tubing survived many years of road hazards without a problem - until I tried to tidy it up :( If that position seems to be the place to put the sensor I'll leave it there and just replace the gauge.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pete.chiswell » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:17 am

Hi guys thanks for all the support and ideas I will be following up with a sandwich plate
pete.chiswell
New-tral

Total Online: