Door window motor problems.

PostPost by: davidj » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi,

I have just reassemblied my door windows. The motors have been regreased and now have relays and heavy duty wires as suggested in previous posts. The seals have all been replaced and the glass is now somewhat difficult to slide but does move with a firm push

However, when operated, power provided by the battery, the motors stop with the windows about half shut with the arm approx horizontal. Is this likely to improve when the engine is running and more power is available, do the seals need some lubrication or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 pm

David,
Yes they will be better with the engine running. Yes they do need lubrication, I use WD40.

John
elanman999
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Alex » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 am

Hi,

John is right on both counts! I changed the seal in the door frame and ended up changing back as it was far too tight!

The extra current provided when the engine is running will almost double the speed. Try using GT85 instead of WD40 as it has PTFE in it which should lubricate for longer. A good bicycle shop should sell it.

Alex
Alex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm

A bad ground is likely
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:09 am

I can relate to your problem!! Have done exactly the same and the windows still need some help. I think the seals they sell for the window frames are too tight. I use silicon fluid and that helps but it does not cure it.
The solution would be to fit looser window rubber.
Lotus: the fun is the driving but certainly not the parts you buy that do not fit or are badly made.
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 pm

I replaced all the frame rubber - windows and q/lights.

The window channel is a bit tight but mine work well. Be certain the corners are mitered as original and the rubber is fully seated and "locked".

Your motor may be bad. I purchased rebuilt exchange units (Cardone) at the local parts store. (IN the U.S.) They are from late '60's GM cars such as Chevelle. Use your original "main gear". Do not lube with lithium grease. Bad for plastic.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: