clutch centering tool

PostPost by: checkrail » Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:36 pm

Hi Has anybody used a universal tool to replace their clutch on a +2, I've been struggling for hours, it seems that it will overtighten and loosen off and let the plate slip out.
I'm wondering if it's because of having the thickness of the pressure pad on the Borg & Beck housing.
The tool is a AM Pro so called universal one, Have I wasted my money?

Once again thanks for any help John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:24 pm

Hi John,
I don't quite understand the problem you are experiencing. A Universal clutch alignment tool is just that and it is simply a matter of using the right adaptors to use with your clutch if it anything like the one I have been using for the last 60years on umpteen different cars.
I have even made a clutch alignment tool before now out of a piece round wood ground down to the necessary diameters when pushed and haven't got the right sizes
I just googled this on ebay which is the type I have used for donkey's years with numerous adaptors to fit:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284192483728 ... BMkPTSxYxk

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:20 pm

Same as Alan I don’t understand the problem you’re having. The most recent clutch I fitted I made my own centralising tool using a piece of dowel and some tape. Just wind the tape around the dowel to fit the two diameters then make sure the dowel is perpendicular.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:21 am

Just looked it up the tool you're using. Sorry to say, but you've wasted your money. A proper tool like the one Alan linked above will use the bore in the end of the crankshaft to align the clutch plate. The AM tool attempts to center the disc off the pressure plate fingers with a cone, while ignoring the crank bore entirely. The crank to clutch disc alignment is what matters.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:39 am

Thanks for the replies, so much for the 'universal' tool. I have found a piece of copper pipe that is a snug fit in the end of the crank and will now tape the other end to fit the plate.

cheers John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:33 am

The AM Pro tool has adapters to fit into the flywheel spigot bearing. You need to select the correct adapter to be a close fit and then use the cone to centre the clutch plate but pressing it down as you slightly tighten the pressure plate bolts evenly until the clutch plate is gripped in place. Thid is assuming the cone fits through the plattern hole on the pressure plate. so it can centre the clutch plate I have a similar tool and its worked for me for 50 years :)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:27 pm

I may be wrong in my assessment of your alignment tool. It appears AM has 2 tools. The first doesn't use a pilot and the 2nd does. Which one do you have John?

https://www.amprotools.net/Product/Prod ... T-TOOL-SET

https://www.amprotools.net/Product/Prod ... OL-(METRIC)
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:54 pm

Success, the clutch is now fitted using a piece of copper pipe as a mandrel and pvc tape, the AM is the cheaper one. There is a guy on YouTube showing how to use one working on the floor but it didn't work for me.

cheers John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:41 pm

Hi Checkrail

John
Have you got your engine running Ok now, as I remember you had a lot of problems getting it to turn over.?
Hope its all sorted John :D
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:02 pm

Hi John, Yes that problem was sorted but running the engine up to temperature in the garage I realised the rad was stil cold at the top. The thermostat had stuck, the housing was too hot to touch, had a spare so swap it,. carried on running, a few minutes later a steady puddle of coolant appeared under the car level with the bell housing. Thought it was the heater hoses but it was the core plug behind the flywheel
So engine out and check the clutch which I'm in the middle of now.

Cheers John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: