Elan S4 solid driveshafts

PostPost by: lotusposition » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:56 pm

Was wondering if anyone here has fitted Kelvedon Motors' CV driveshafts to a small Elan without the recommended reduced travel dampers?
If so, have you had any problems since fitting?

Also, I would be interested to learn from those that have fitted both special dampers and CV shafts whether they have experienced any negative effects such as handling or ride quality suffering?
lotusposition
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:59 pm

lotusposition wrote:Was wondering if anyone here has fitted Kelvedon Motors' CV driveshafts to a small Elan without the recommended reduced travel dampers?
If so, have you had any problems since fitting?

Also, I would be interested to learn from those that have fitted both special dampers and CV shafts whether they have experienced any negative effects such as handling or ride quality suffering?

I have been running a pair of Sue Miller's driveshafts (she sold the design to Kelvedon) for the last 2 1/2 years / 3,000 miles without issue. When I installed them I did check that the shafts would still rotate with the suspension in the full down position.

I have bought a set of Kelvedon's travel limiting rear shocks, but have not fitted them yet.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:55 pm

Hi,
I fitted a pair of Kelvedon shafts in October 2017 to my S3
As my Koni shock absorbers were in very good condition and looked almost as new, then instead of buying new replacements I shortened the shafts by 25mm. as recommended by Kelvedon.
The only snag I have had is that on my recent annual safety check I found a split in one of the boots. A new pair of boots were fitted.
I have been very pleased with the feel of these shafts with no wind up or hesitation. It pulls away like a modern car and gives me extra confidence when driving.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusposition » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:45 am

Interesting to read of your experience and thankyou for your replies so far.
lotusposition
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: John Sharples » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:10 pm

I have the Kelvedon CV joints and the special dampers. My sprint drives very well indeed. It's my 5th Elan - no donut wind-up, a nice positive feel to power delivery and no handing issues that I have noticed,

John
John Sharples
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:30 pm

I fitted the Sue Miller CV jointed shafts over 10 years ago. I have standard shocks but limited suspension droop very simply by passing a 25 mm wide webbing strap over the top of the suspension turret and attaching both ends to the suspension upright with Jubillee clips, with enough slack in the webbing strap to allow as much suspension droop as seemed safe for the CV joints. I've had no problems at all with this system and I can jack up the rear of the car without fear of dislocation a CV joint, which i would fear to do without some sort of droop limitation.

Regards
Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: