Is their a specific manufacturer to buy high quality donuts

PostPost by: Mroz » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:17 pm

Is their a specific manufacturer and distributor to buy high quality donuts for the élan/??

Do new donut quality vary? How long should they last?
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:25 pm

I bought mine from SJ Sportscars & have had them on my car since 2013 when I finished my restoration. I have a pit in my garage & check them frequently & have seen no signs of them breaking down.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:07 pm

Manny, I'd recommend going to Dave Bean http://www.davebean.com/ or Ray https://www.rdent.com/ for good quality doughjnuts.

Down the road consider fitting CV driveshafts, both vendors can supply the same Australian driveshaft kits.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:49 pm

pharriso wrote:Down the road consider fitting CV driveshafts, both vendors can supply the same Australian driveshaft kits.

I'd second the CV shafts if you planning to drive the car often and hard. I was under the impression the rdent and dave bean ones (with new output shafts) were US made. I have these on my +2 and think they are the best solution, especially on an elan as you don't need to limited rear shock droop.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 pm

mbell wrote: I was under the impression the rdent and dave bean ones (with new output shafts) were US made. I have these on my +2 and think they are the best solution, especially on an elan as you don't need to limited rear shock droop.

I may be wrong, but I thought they were both supplying these shafts https://elantrikbits.com/
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mroz » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:15 pm

Later I'll do the CV shafts. The seller will do the donuts.

Small cracks on the images provided by seller:
Attachments
donut r.jpg and
donut l.jpg and
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:19 pm

They maybe, but at least the rdent website shows a different type which includes new diff output shafts which are not the trikbit ones.

I think there are three options available for full CV shafts:
1) kelvedon, these are bolt in but require droop limiters. UK made.
2) trikbit, these are same basic concept as 1) but don't require droop limiters and are a bit lighter. Australia made.
3) rdent/bean ones. Theses are different design and include new diff output shafts and don't need droop limiters. Us made.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:23 pm

pharriso wrote:
mbell wrote: I was under the impression the rdent and dave bean ones (with new output shafts) were US made. I have these on my +2 and think they are the best solution, especially on an elan as you don't need to limited rear shock droop.

I may be wrong, but I thought they were both supplying these shafts https://elantrikbits.com/

The cv axle kits from Bean, JAE and RDent are manufactured by Jon Kouba in California. They are an excellent and proven design for over 30 years. They do not need droop limit straps on stock suspension. I have a set on my car.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mroz » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 pm

Got the new donuts on the car. Going for coffee soon.
Attachments
F5E33A54-BFB5-406A-94B0-51CAD8552D40.jpg and
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: skyarch » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 am

Here's a link to a supplier in the US:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=1470

They offer donuts in standard and heavy duty.
skyarch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:49 am

skyarch wrote:Here's a link to a supplier in the US:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=1470

They offer donuts in standard and heavy duty.

Interesting information on the Pegasus website:

"Donut couplings allow significant angular deflection (up to 5 degrees constant or 10 degrees momentary)"

I guess someone forgot to tell Colin. The deflection angle at full droop is much more than 10 degrees. Those donuts really don't look at all happy at full droop.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:56 am

Mroz wrote:Got the new donuts on the car. Going for coffee soon.

Mroz, I am sure the last thing you need is someone on the web pointing out issues with your car, but I think the inboard lower wishbone bolts have been installed the wrong way around. They need to have the bolt heads pointing at each other. No problem for day to day running, but if they are installed the wrong way around they can't be removed without lifting the body or heroics with a Dremel or hacksaw blade. Its a well known 'gotcha', and most Lotus restorers should be well aware.

Did the PO restore it, or was it a commercial restoration?
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mroz » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:49 am

Andy8421 wrote:
Mroz wrote:Got the new donuts on the car. Going for coffee soon.

Mroz, I am sure the last thing you need is someone on the web pointing out issues with your car, but I think the inboard lower wishbone bolts have been installed the wrong way around. They need to have the bolt heads pointing at each other. No problem for day to day running, but if they are installed the wrong way around they can't be removed without lifting the body or heroics with a Dremel or hacksaw blade. Its a well known 'gotcha', and most Lotus restorers should be well aware.

Did the PO restore it, or was it a commercial restoration?

Commercial restoration.

Thank you for pointing out the bolt head direction on the inboard lower wishbone. I appreciate the good eye and comments. All comments are welcome!.

I might understand. Can you clarify:

Do you mean that lower wishbone can't be easily removed or wishbone rubber replace in the far future If needing removal their are two undesirable solutions: A) small cut the fiberglass to remove the bolt? B) Or remove body? Their is no reliability or safety issue?

additional picture:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.35.21 PM.jpg and
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.33.17 PM.jpg and
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:41 am

Mroz wrote:I might understand. Can you clarify:

Do you mean that lower wishbone can't be easily removed or wishbone rubber replace in the far future If needing removal their are two undesirable solutions: A) small cut the fiberglass to remove the bolt? B) Or remove body? Their is no reliability or safety issue?

Yes.

No safety issue. PITA if you need to remove the wishbone - although you may never have to. There is a C) solution which is to cut / grind the bolt, but access is tricky - there are a number of threads on here of owners with similar problems.
Given this is a well known issue, it does raise a question about the experience of the restorer with Elans - keep a watchful eye out for other possible issues as you get to know the car.

The CV / Donut debate has raged on here for years - originality vs durability. Worth noting that the donuts weren't much good in period either - they were the biggest cause of warranty claims during the Elan's life, and they don't fail safe. I am a CV man, I don't like the bounce of the donuts. If you are going to use them, make sure you inspect them regularly.

Good luck.
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:10 am

Andy8421 wrote 'Given this is a well known issue, it does raise a question about the experience of the restorer with Elans - keep a watchful eye out for other possible issues as you get to know the car'

My Mick Miller car came with the bolts in question fitted incorrectly. Would you doubt his experience in restoring old Lotus cars? Anyone can make a mistake, albeit he should not have.

Also wrote 'The CV / Donut debate has raged on here for years - originality vs durability. Worth noting that the donuts weren't much good in period either - they were the biggest cause of warranty claims during the Elan's life, and they don't fail safe. I am a CV man, I don't like the bounce of the donuts. If you are going to use them, make sure you inspect them regularly'

I have no clue as to what you mean by 'bounce'. I have owned and driven Elans fitted with original style donuts continuously for over 40 years now. I love everything about the way an Elan drives and feels fitted with donuts. My MM car was restored by him in around 1998, and 50k miles later, are still fitted with the donuts he put on the car. Sure, I do inspect them regularly with a strong light, by pulling the car back and forth over my head whilst stood in my pit. We don't want any mishaps with donuts, do we. They do have some tiny surface cracks in the rubber, but nothing that concerns me, and I fully expect them to go on for many years to come.

I have read about people saying you kangeroo down the road with donuts, the car surges with donuts, you get fat eating donuts. All BS. Non of my cars exhibit those traits, but then again, the engines and clutches work properly. If your engine is all lumpy and the clutch sticks and judders on take up, it is hardly surprising that your donuts surge when taking off.

On the other hand, I do not like the feel of the car restored by Alex Black, fitted with cv's. It gives a much harsher ride, drivetrain wise, and when time permits, I shall be upgrading the car back to original donuts for that 'as it left the factory feel', that Elans were so noted, and revered for.

Form an orderly queue for the shafts that come off AB's car.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: