Broken billet output shaft

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:00 am

Hi All
Looks like I have broken a billet shaft,is this a first or has it happend to others. This shaft was fitted in 2018 when I noticed one of my original shafts was not an updated stronger one.
Any ideas on how to remove the broken part with a diff insitu. Will have to investigate further today to see if diff needs to come out. Should have left well alone.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:30 am

soory to read that : if/when convenient please post photos to document the failure for future reference (also mention the circumstances : use, tires, upgraded engine etc.)...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:51 am

I’m no mechanical expert but I’d have thought it would be possible to do tge job with the diff in situ. Once you remove the circlip you will need to somehow give the shaft a bit of a whack to get it out of the diff. Doubt you’ll have much room so you might have to rig up something to extend the shaft away from the diff to give you a chance. Maybe you’ll be lucky attaching a pair of molegrips and tapping on them until it pops out.

Putting a replacement back should be easy by comparison.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:04 am

When you remove the spider end with the bearing, examine the fracture. If it is a clean break, you may be able to remove the splined stump with a strong magnet.

However, if the break is in the splined section, It will most likely break into two conical faces, with a mass of triangular bits of teeth falling into the diff oil, which will have to be removed, if they have not already damaged the diff gears. :shock:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:07 pm

+1 to what Foxie said.

I've done this job before and it is possible, providing the break is just 2 pieces.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:34 pm

Panic over guys

Feel embarrassed due confusion between me and my helper there is no breakage :oops: :oops:

sorry but I am much happier, :D

Great to see the quick responses and help Thanks
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:25 pm

I was following this to see why and how a billet axle could break. Thanks for the update.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:10 pm

What made you think it was broken?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:42 am

I had one break. No idea of where it was from or how old it was. I replaced it with a later OEM one in good condition. No trouble since then.

I removed the broken section with the diff in the car. Slide hammer to remove the bearing and rest of the shaft, and to remove the good one on the other side. Then used a drift to knock out the broken bit. It was a clean fracture and no extra bits to try and find. I did flush the diff with fresh oil to be safe. Bit of a pain, and the only time the Plus 2 has left me stranded in 5 years.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:58 am

Slight topic drift, but as an Electronics guy, I never understood this 'billet' business.

I thought the strongest parts were made by forging, as the grain boundaries followed the shape of the finished part as the forging process 'squished' the material into the correct shape.

If you start off with a solid billet (which I guess is advertising code for stock bar material), then machine your part out of this, then you are cutting across grain boundaries, which surely must be weaker than a forging.

Is the term 'billet' used to differentiate the part from an item that has been cast? I can sort of see that it is harder to control the quality of a cast part than something that started off as a uniform slab of material.

Thanks,

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:58 pm

Andy,

As an electronics guy you are extremely well informed. Items that are forged are just as you say, and the forging has directional properties, of course the grade of material used also has an effect.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:52 am

While not an engineer, I have some knowledge in this field. I think the important bit is understanding where the most highly stressed area is. The spline teeth are the the highest stressed (where they end engagement with the diff female spline), but are not easily forged. The root of the spline and the adjacent small diameter shaft is next in line. The grain
of a HRS billet runs along the axis of the base material so is aligned with the spline, and reacts similar to a forged piece. Fully forged would be slightly stronger due to the grain following the teeth, but not economically feasible for a low production part.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: