gearbox T9 for ElanS3

PostPost by: geni » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Concerning the choice and fitting of a T9 gearbox[/u][/u]
I know this discussion already exists but I want to know the different technical points before I start!
How to recognize a T9 (different choices available) that fits on an Elan?
Will it fit on the Elan S3 with a Spyder chassis, will I have to modify the chassis? etc!
I'd like to know all these details before deciding (advice to be shared by this T9 mounting option and addresses of mounting kit suppliers.
For the differential bridge, which one to use?
Thanks to those who have already done this transformation and give their opinion and advice.
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Are you asking about the Ford 5 speed T9 as per the Voights 5 speed conversion .
I'm not aware of any other Ford T9 5 speed conversions ?
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:35 pm

The N American variants are two T5, on for a V8 that doesnt fit. The 4’s all fit, if that helps. Likely doesn’t answer your query, but you could/might consider them as the gear options and many produced makes them my choice.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm

The standard Ford T9 does not fit as the gear lever is too far rearwards. Voights do a modified T9 kit that corrects the lever position and includes a new rear mount bracket, concentric clutch cylinder and clutch. There is someone on this forum who has modified a T9 to fit but you need the machine tools and skills to do it.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:45 pm

I stand correcting, but as far as I'm aware Voigts are the only business selling the T9 5 speed box ready to fit the Elan and +2 as a complete kit.
There's been much talk on this site and others about the use of a Mazda MX5 , 5 and 6 speed box conversion for the Elan but this has not transpired as a commercial venture in numbers , as far as I'm aware . ???
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: