Sprint Diff torque rod questions

PostPost by: Lotus Guy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:31 am

After tracking down some bush locating washers to replace missing ones, some new issues before refitting.
What is the difference between the LH and RH one? Are you able to tell by measurements?

I carefully stored the half moon washers and nuts that are at the chassis end of the rods. So carefully I can't find them! Will a nyloc substitute for the nut and lock nut ?

Are the half moon washers (correct name?) readily available or will I need to get some machined up?
1971 Elan Sprint dhc
1987 Turbo Esprit hci
2005 Elise 111R Type 79
Lotus Guy
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:05 pm

What is the difference between the LH and RH one? Are you able to tell by measurements?

Very easy to get this wrong. Try offering both rods up to one side of the diff, it should be obvious which is the correct one for that side as the threaded end should pass through the diff "ear" at right angles.

Are the half moon washers (correct name?) readily available or will I need to get some machined up?

If you mean the conical nuts, they are available from the Lotus parts suppliers in the UK..

IMG_0057.jpg and

https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/produ ... toque-rod/

https://kelvedonlotus.co.uk/product/dif ... e-rod-nut/

Simple to make from a standard nut, just make sure the angle matches the countersink in the end of the rod.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:33 pm

The bushing are the same as the front anti roll bar and use the same washers. My poly bushes came with a full set of washers.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus Guy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:27 pm

Thanks Roger - that's the part - forgot it was a nut rather than a washer
1971 Elan Sprint dhc
1987 Turbo Esprit hci
2005 Elise 111R Type 79
Lotus Guy
New-tral

Total Online: